225 ProMax -- Shake at Idle/Low RPMs Normal or Excessive?

Hey all,

SN# 0G367609 (1996)

Bought this boat last spring. Always thought this was just how the motor was, and that may well be so figured I'd ask here:

Motor seems to shake to the point where you can feel it in the whole boat at times. I read through some similar posts but most of them had to do with engine stalling once throttle was applied. This engine works fine once on plane.

As part of a different repair, fuel injectors were sent out and cleaned this winter. No obvious evidence of prop/propshaft issues (23P Temp + w/Large PVS plugs). No issues with stalling just has a rumble/shake at low rpms. Below are some links to a few short videos on my google drive. Not sure if it will really translate well in the video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Kf...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18JH...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks for any insight
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

2. Member
    solid mtr mounts/may need tune up with all sensors tested and timmming set up ,might be lil on the rich side low speed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Essentially a race engine... not a lot of effort spend on making it "smooth as silk" at idle speed (built with the "go fast, turn left, go fast again" mentality).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I agree with Don. When I had a 225 Pro Max on my Allison 2003 XB, I did not do much idling but a lot of WOT unless water was too rough.

Still my favorite engine until I got my current one.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    My 225 PM rebuilds idle SMOOTHER than stock , BUT after our builds they are balanced and tuned ,extracting Max HP from any of the V-6 2.5’s is our special nitch .. Give us a call @ 832 597 2603 and I’ll separate the myths from facts on these engines , we are in Jasper Texas
    www.jaysmithracingengines.com

Jay @ JSRE
    JSRE
    www.jaysmithracingengines.com
    832 597 2603 cst

Doesn't look too unusual to me. If you don't have a manual, you should pick one up or borrow one, it might be worth it to go thru the whole link n synch procedure just to make sure everything's where it's supposed to be. That'll cure many issues more often than not. Sometimes people mess with them, and I often find some put too much initial timing in them, never liked how they idled like that. I usually set mine up around 3-5 ATDC and full timing at 23. A lot of people say you can run 25 degrees, but I pull it back a couple just for peace of mind, never really know what fuel you're getting sometimes. That's just the way I've personally found that I like. Not sure I'd put it in the race motor classification, mine will idle at 600rpm all day long nice and smooth. Also, as mentioned above, the solid motor mounts transmit a little more vibration to the boat than what you may be used to, but solid mounts are the only way to go.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.