Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Co-anglers, how many rods do you usually take with you?

Just curious how many rods co-anglers usually bring with them. I have a buddy that fished with me years ago and he would bring 12 - 14 rods every time AND he would only use 2 - 3 the entire day! He literally brought EVERY rod he owned. I’ve had several others fish with me and it seems like most would bring 4 - 6 rods most of the time.

Lonster

2. Member
    I don’t do bfl but my uncle does and he carries 4-6 and a small bag. He’s won a lot of money and won quite a few BFLs so I tend to try to mirror his thought process. I do jackpot weekday tournaments with my dad and I usually bring 3-4 for those, and a backpack with 2 Plano boxes and a couple bags of plastics. Granted those are only 4 hour tournaments

3. Member
    When I fish with a buddy, tourney or fun fishing, I limit myself to no more than 4 and most of the time I only bring 3. I limit all my gear to one tackle bag to include tackle, soft plastics, and a rain suit if it will be needed. I just don’t want to be that guy that clutters up the boat.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonster View Post
    Just curious how many rods co-anglers usually bring with them. I have a buddy that fished with me years ago and he would bring 12 - 14 rods every time AND he would only use 2 - 3 the entire day! He literally brought EVERY rod he owned. I’ve had several others fish with me and it seems like most would bring 4 - 6 rods most of the time.

Lonster
    i have those same buddies.

Its their stuff to keep track of, not mine. Lol.

When I fish their boats, I bring 3-4 and a backpack tackle bag.

5. Member
    I'm not a co-angler, but I can tell you some of the co's I have had range from 5 to 6 or 12 to 15. I actually tell my co-anglers exactly what to bring and what I'm throwing so to limit the amount of gear they bring. Obivously most don't believe me. I once had a co-angler bring a 36" long hunting gear storage bag , completely full enough that I had to help him lift it up into my boat, true story

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandone View Post
    I'm not a co-angler, but I can tell you some of the co's I have had range from 5 to 6 or 12 to 15. I actually tell my co-anglers exactly what to bring and what I'm throwing so to limit the amount of gear they bring. Obivously most don't believe me. I once had a co-angler bring a 36" long hunting gear storage bag , completely full enough that I had to help him lift it up into my boat, true story
    I believe you. The friend that I mentioned in the first post would also bring three of the old drawer-type tackle boxes that would basically fill up the floor space in my boat!

8. Banned
    Everyone that fishes with me usually brings 15-20. I have plenty of room. They can bring as much as they want

9. Banned
    When I was a boater in BFL's and ABA's most co's brought 4-6 rods and a bag. I always left the compartment behind their seat empty for them to use.

If someone showed up with 15 rods.....I mean, they're the ones that are going to have to deal with that.

Would bring 4 to 6 rods and 1 tackle bag when I used to fish with others before I had a boat.

4 max. And a small tackle pack.

12. Member
    I fish BFL's as a co-angler and limit myself to 4-5 rods. I ask the boater how they typically fish and how they're planning to fish for that event. Then I decide on 4-5 rods to bring. I've done three before but most of the time it's 4-5. I bring just one backpack tackle bag.

13. Member
    When I fished a Shared weight, I would recommend 3 or 4 rods and tackle. Non- shared weight, “bring as many as you can grab” .

14. Member
    Fished everything from fruit jars to FLW and BASS events, always found five to be a good number
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

15. Member
    Never more than 5. Any more than that and you will be fighting rods more than fish.

16. Banned

17. Member
    6 combos, 4 casting and 2 spinning, unless I know the pattern or the boater gives me intel the night before then I'll pair it down to 4, 2 casting and 2 spinning.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    6 combos, 4 casting and 2 spinning, unless I know the pattern or the boater gives me intel the night before then I'll pair it down to 4, 2 casting and 2 spinning.
    I've never found boaters plans to be reliable, more times than not they end up doing something completely different. If you only take gear plan for the plan, you're out of luck. I pay way more attention to seasonal patterns and baits I fish effectively.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

19. Member
    5-4 casting, 1 spinning.

I am usually the boater so 8-12 in my boat but no more than 5 at one time on deck.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

20. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693