Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When to fish a buzzbait?

Been reading the buzzbait advice thread below and didn’t want to hijack. So my question is when do you throw a buzzbait and how do you select colors?

2. Fishing is a Passion
    I personally throw a black skirt buzz with no trailer. When the temp hits 55
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

I’ll start throwing at 50 deg but really start liking it when it gets near 60. I like black.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

4. Member
    Agree. 55* and up. Water clarity doesn't really matter. And it's a light switch bait. It's either on or off. When on, nothing is better. When off,you will struggle to get a bite. Luckily if it's on, you will have a bite in the 1st 10 minutes. If you don't, pick it up every couple of hours for a few minutes. Sometimes the middle of the day is the best bite.

twilight hours in the hot summer on main channel banks for me. My other pattern is to match up same color spinnerbait and buzz bait and fish them alternating on dark overcast light drizzle rainy spring and summer days. Especially if you have a fish miss the buzz, drop the rod and pick up the same color spinnerbait and cast just past where the miss occurred and run it thru the area. I cant tell you how many times the spinnerbait has caught the fish that just rolled on a buzzbait.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 04-10-2020 at 06:00 AM.

I like fishing them early season and late season around here in MN and otherwise during lowlight conditions (early morning, evening, cloudy/rainy days, etc). As others have said, 55 degrees seems to be the magic water temp in the spring, but they'll hit it in lower temps in the fall for sure. No better way to cover a lot of water in my opinion, and you can fish it through just about any cover save for matted vegetation. I'm throwing a black one almost 100% of the time. Worth mentioning that we don't have shad around here except on the river.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Ive got buzzbait fish here in North Carolina in 48 degree water.

8. Member
    For me, when the water gets around 60-65 and above is when I bust 'em out. Some chop on the water and lower light (whether clouds or dusk or dawn) seem to attract more bites for me. White, chartreuse, and black are the colors I use. Throw 'em around cover where the bass live.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoozier View Post
    Ive got buzzbait fish here in North Carolina in 48 degree water.
    Is that spring or fall? For me, although I can get a occasional cold water bite on top, they start hitting well at 55* in the spring. In the fall, they hit well down to 48*.

10 months out of the year

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Agree. 55* and up. Water clarity doesn't really matter. And it's a light switch bait. It's either on or off. When on, nothing is better. When off,you will struggle to get a bite. Luckily if it's on, you will have a bite in the 1st 10 minutes. If you don't, pick it up every couple of hours for a few minutes. Sometimes the middle of the day is the best bite.
    This is dead on and around here usually who figures it out first wins, it seems when the switch is flipped its big fish then they get smaller.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'm throwing a black one almost 100% of the time. Worth mentioning that we don't have shad around here except on the river.
    Drew, are you throwing black in really clear water too?

I’m with Drew. I throw black 99% of the time. Anytime. Anywhere.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Drew, are you throwing black in really clear water too?
    Probably the best buzzbait note I’ve been on in years was on a black one last spring on a lake with 10 feet of visibility!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

15. Member
    You throw it when it gets warmer BUT there are times when a buzzbait is the best or only bait you can use. I bank fished a pond last week and caught some on a small crankbait, then changed to a wacky worm until it got caught in a wire weir. This pond had anti-goose strings stretched across it which made casting dangerous. I was leaving but threw a buzz bait as I approached my truck, Bam-Bam-Bam, three nice bass.
    Also, many ponds in this locale have aggressive pond scum coming out from the shore. I caught nice bass casting past it. You will have to clean the prop occasionally though.

16. Member
    Will wait until it gets into the low 50’s. Love when it just disappears in a swirl.
    Red Sox in 6!

17. Member
    Colors are Black 90% and white 5%. Have some off colors like Red/black or bluegill for the other 5%.
    Red Sox in 6!

18. Member
    I start throwing my buzzbait in April and fish it into November.
    all Black or Table rock with silver blades
    May-August dont put it down after the morning flurry ive had some really good days in middle of the day in 100 +air temps

19. Member
    Spawn all the way through the fall. Black with a skirt if I want to use a trailer hook or black with no skirt and a toad when I don't. Only time I really use white is around shad in the fall. 1/4 or 3/8 Cavitron is the one I use mostly though I've tried one of the ones built for toads, forget which one but it has a screw lock.

20. Member
    I usually keep a buzzbait within reach year round any color works great as long as it's black.
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast