Fishing Arbuckle

I hooked up the boat to fish Lake of the Arbuckles this past Monday. It looked like Memorial Day weekend there. All ramps are open, picnic tables outside camping areas are assessable. Camping and all restrooms are closed. The fish there have always been closed for me and sometimes I sneak a little ole bass by them. I started bass fishing a couple of years ago when I bought a bass boat and I swear, if I didn't know others that caught fish there, I would believe there are no fish there. Fish easy to find on my birds but they are tough for me to catch there. I fished hard from 7:30 until 4:00 with a brief timeout for a sandwich and not one bite....not even a little dink. Anyone else have an issue catching fish from Arbuckle? I haven't caught a legal bass all year and fished it 5 times this spring. Damhit.

2. Member
    It's a tough lake, seems to usually be feast or famine. I've gone out a couple times and absolutely hammered them, but more often I get my teeth kicked in. It gets a ton of pressure so you need to find things most other guys don't find.

3. Member
    Not that I have a lot of experience at Arbuckle .... but my experience has been quality and not quantity. I have not caught a lot of fish there, but the few times I have fished there the fish I have caught have been pretty decent.

4. Member
    My partner and I went down there yesterday just for the hell of it. Neither of us had ever been there, so we thought we'd give it a shot. Fished from one end to the other for about 4 hours and never had a bite. Saw quite a few beds with bucks on them, but they weren't interested in eating anything. Our timing wasn't great with the weather, but we were surprised that we couldn't get bit at all. We decided to leave around noon and head back towards Tulsa. Stopped at Sportsman Lake on the way back and fished about 4 more hours. Caught a few there, with one being about 4 pounds, so it wasn't a total waste of a day.

5. Member
    I have been several times as there is not much else I can really do now. I went there again today but the wind was howling, unloaded at "The Point" and fished mostly north of there off Rock Creek where I have caught fish before...I found a large brush pile loaded with crappie on my Bird and I did catch one little crappie and missed one other. Not one bass bite today and I fished for four and one half hours. I decided to go over to Guy Sandy but the lake was so rough I chose to just go home. I fell off my tractor a few days ago and bruised my back and couldn't take the ride over. I have caught fish there before but never in large numbers but this year I am not doing that well. One cool thing did happen was as I fished I shared company with two Bald Eagles. Regardless, the lake is beautiful. Any suggestions on baits, depth, or locations always appreciated.

6. Member
    I've been more than 5 but less than 10 times probably, it was always good for one 4-6 lb fish for me, save for one day that I caught about 20 unders. Lol

7. Member
    Fished it for the first time Friday. 3 largemouth, 9 white bass, 2 crappie and a red eared sunfish. About 6 - 8 boats on the lake.

SE Kansas grass grower (retired)

ROCK CHALK