Opersting remperature

SN 2B216247 115hp . What is the correct operating temperature or this engine? Mine never exceeds 125 on vessel view, it makes a little oil, could the two be related? I bought it used and it has 65 hours.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A lot depends on the running conditions. Are these the temps AT IDLE, or when you're running down the lake at 75% or higher throttle?

A cold-running engine will be RICH, and that can potentially result in what some refer to as "making oil".

Make sure you're using the correct oil/weight, and that oil level is set to 25-33% of the SAFE zone on the stick (NOT TO THE FULL MARK!).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don, 125 is at idle. The person I bought it from had it a 23 pitch prop on it and it wold only reach abut 5000 rpm. I put a 19 pitch on it and now it turns 5700 to 6000.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would pull and inspect that thermostat just to make sure there is nothing hung in it (or damage). Relatively simple to do on these.

Oil level, type and WEIGHT?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    level is maybe 25 or 30% above add mark. Mercury oil, 10w30. Temperature is 120 or 125 running at 5800 rpm. Water pressure is good according to vessel view. I had the oil changed at my dealer.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    We normally use 25w40 in that engine (unless you're regularly operating it in temps below 40 degrees F).

I'd like to see those temps up a little higher on that engine... probably a good idea to pull the thermostat and inspect/test.

7. Member
    Thanks, the oil only has a few hours on it, I will run it a while and then change to 25w40. Should I use synthetic blend or mineral? Is there anything other than the thermostat that could cause the motor to run a little cold, the lake water is 60 degrees. What should the water pressure be at idle and at wot?
    Last edited by XMP; 04-13-2020 at 06:22 AM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either is ok to use... the Synthetic Blend is considered the "best" option.

Thermostat is about the only item (other than simply very cold water supply).

Normally 1-5 psi at idle, and at WOT, 11-40 psi range.

9. Member
    I installed a new thermostat and on muffs it warmed up to and stayed at 122. I think this is about 6 or 7 degrees warmer than before I hope this improves things.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

11. Member
    I finally got to run the boat today. At 5800 rpm it was 126 to 130 degrees with 30 psi water pressure. it warmed up to 120 at idle. I think that is more the way it is supposed to run. I thank you Don for being so willing to share all your knowledge with us, all you do is priceless to us.
    Last edited by XMP; 04-24-2020 at 06:17 PM.