Pics /plans for Stratos Deck Extension (1998 283)

I saw them here years ago and didn't act... I'm looki g to build a deck extension for my 1998 Strato 283. Does anyone have plans and pics for theirs?

2. Member
    I am actually in the middle of building one and I'm not really happy with my design and would love to see what others have done. I have a '98 389SD.

I have a deck extension that was on my bought when I bought it. Frame was made out of 2 x 4 and topped with a piece of white cutting board then topped with carpet. If you want pictures send me a text to 1-204-229-0083
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

4. Member
    Here's what I did on my 289FS. The boards are all cedar(I work in a woodshop for something to do in the Winter. The boards are leftover from Adirondack chairs). They are all fiberglass resined. I then painted the box with appliance epoxy paint. The carpet is from a friends ranger that went on the rocks outside of Sodus Bay. The box has no bottom, and is a press fit. The box is 28"L X 19"H X 16"W. It helped with tackle storage a lot, as there's not a lot of easy to get to tackle storage on the front deck of an 19.5' 89 Stratos FS.
    IMG_1482.JPGIMG_1484.JPGIMG_1491.JPGIMG_1496.JPG

I hope this gives you some ideas for what you want to do.

Steve
    Last edited by 89-289FS; 04-26-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 89-289FS View Post
    Here's what I did on my 289FS. The boards are all cedar(I work in a woodshop for something to do in the Winter. The boards are leftover from Adirondack chairs). They are all fiberglass resined. I then painted the box with appliance epoxy paint. The carpet is from a friends ranger that went on the rocks outside of Sodus Bay. The box has no bottom, and is a press fit. The box is 28"L X 19"H X 16"W. It helped with tackle storage a lot, as there's not a lot of easy to get to tackle storage on the front deck of an 19.5' 89 Stratos FS.
    IMG_1482.JPGIMG_1484.JPGIMG_1491.JPGIMG_1496.JPG

I hope this gives you some ideas for what you want to do.

Steve
    Dam fine work!
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

6. Member
    Looks great! Did you make that removable or is it mounted perm? Great idea. I have the same boat I believe. Mines a 92'. What wood did you make that out of?
    1992 Stratos F/S 289
    200 GT Johnson

7. Member
    That really looks great! Did the finished product add a lot of weight? The tackle storage is awesome!

8. Member
    The wooden box is 1" cedar. The top is 3/4" plywood. All surfaces have 2 coats of fiberglass resin on them, and are painted with Krylon appliance epoxy paint. I did not put a bottom in the box, as there is a drain where I put the box, and with the vent I put in the front of the box, there is airflow. The box is a very tight press fit. If you look at the 4th pic, you'll see I made the height of the box the same height as the 2 side compartment with the side compartment lids being open. That way you can open the center box, and be able to open the side boxes. Being cedar, the weight even with the plywood top is not heavy. I now have a gas spring to install so I don't have to hold up the lid. The plastic strip holding the baits came from the dollar tree. it's what they hang the batteries, etc on. They were empty, and I guess they don't re-use them, and a lady at the store said I could have them. I also installed a harbor freight 12(?) tool hanging magnet on the bottom side of the lid to have a place to hang baits so they can dry out.
    I'm building new boxes( cedar-12"w X 14"l X 6"h) to put under my driver and passenger seats to replace the pedestals, and give and have more storage(It also takes the shock better when you have some rough water vs a pedestal going up your butt) They will be hinged in the front with locking capability in the rear of the box.I am moving my passenger seat 2" or so toward the center of the boat, and building a rod storage plate w/ 6 golf tubes for the rod handles to fit in, for the person up front, as I can only keep 3 rods up front because of the short front deck.
    I have also installed 2 of the retractable rod buckle hold down straps (1 port-1 stbd) on the rear deck, behind the rear deck fishing seat for the person in the back of the boat. Which allows storage for 5-6 rods(Just remember to remove the rods before you dock the boat, as they will hang out (rod tips) over the side of the boat. I alternate the direction of the rods, so I can fit more rods) There is plastic plate you can buy which with the rod buckle mounted in it allows you to mount the rod buckle directly to the rear deck.

Sorry this is long winded. Just trying to get some ideas out there to utilize every bit of space(as there is never enough) on our boats.

Steve

i

You be as long-winded as you like. Great info shared and in an intelligent manner (sometimes hard to come by). I admire people who can formulate a plan and execute so well. Only thing I'd have changed is to lower it to make an intermediate step to the front deck - but that's personal preference. I had to build an improvised step as such so my elderly mother can manage from deck to cockpit level while we're on vacation. Have to look at your concept as material for a more permanent option.

Good work

10. Member
    Thank You.
    I definitely thought of a lower step (As I'm just short of 73 years old, and a shorter step up would be nice.) which also could be used for a smaller hinged storage box.
    But as I would lose the space to fit a couple more plano boxes, I decided against it.

Steve