Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Casting distance

For those new to the baitcaster world, what it a good distance that you should expect to cast a descent size lure? I understand that there are a lot of factors, (ie wind, rod type, lure weight etc). I am just staying to gauge a reasonable range, under ideal circumstances. Thank you.

2. Member
    With or without a backlash?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    With or without a backlash?
    Lol!
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

4. Member
    Really depends on lure type/ weight and rod length as well as line size. For example, my frog setup I can cast fairly easily 40+ yards but a small flat side crank bait maybe only 20 yards

Too many variables ! Weight of line, weight of lure, length of rod, weight of rod (light to heavy) setting on the reel free spool and mag, and skill and ability 0of the angler. Then there's the WIND too !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Banned
    Let set a bait first. Let’s say a good ol plastic worm with a 3/8 ounce sinker. Very typical setup to make a long cast with. With that, I’d say 40 yards is good long cast

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Let set a bait first. Let’s say a good ol plastic worm with a 3/8 ounce sinker. Very typical setup to make a long cast with. With that, I’d say 40 yards is good long cast
    Yes it is. I had a buddy who always bragged about how he could bomb 60yd casts at will. Well I put my laser range finder in the boat one weekend and ran into him fishing with some buddies. Sure enough, off he goes about bombing 60yds like nothing. So I said ok, bet ya $20 you can’t. Pulled our boats up towards a 5mph buoy. I stopped us at 60. He was shocked at how far it was. He gave it 5 tries and the closest he got was probably 45yds . Lol. Now not saying it can’t be done just that it’s a LOT further than guys think.

8. Member
    I'll try to answer your question. Your first few attempts will result in a backlash. That is just the way it is. After 15 minutes you will get a few casts in that will be about 60% of your average spinning rod casts.

Your next time out you will still have backlashes but after 30 minutes or so you will be around 80% of your average spinning rod casts under the same conditions. Your third time out you will still have backlashes but after 30 minutes or so you will be around 100% of your average spinning rod casts under the same conditions.

Your fourth time out you will cast farther than you have ever cast with any other type of rod. But you will still get backlashes.

20 years later you will be bragging to your buddies what a great caster you are with a baitcaster. And then you will get a backlash. It is just the nature of the beast.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

9. Member
    I think if most folks would actually measure a cast they would find that they are not casting nearly as far as they think. I set up a range in my yard with measurements. The farthest I could get with a Booyah pad crasher on 50# braid,7.5’ rod and a Revo was 122’.I think an average open water cast is more like 60’. Of course,longer casts can be made with heavier lures.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I think if most folks would actually measure a cast they would find that they are not casting nearly as far as they think. I set up a range in my yard with measurements. The farthest I could get with a Booyah pad crasher on 50# braid,7.5’ rod and a Revo was 122’.I think an average open water cast is more like 60’. Of course,longer casts can be made with heavier lures.
    I believe this to be true also. I try to fish offshore anytime I can. When I’m out there I’m always trying to bomb it. 40 yards is a long damn cast.

Further than your nonboater would be a good start.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

I fish for open water schooling spotted bass in the fall. I set up to make long casts to breaking fish and to just cover a lot of water. I use old style round reels, Ambassadeur C4's currently. My reels are tuned by me, ceramic ABEC7 bearings, no grease, just light oil, only 2 centrifugal brakes. They are on 7' medium heavy rods. A lure I really like this time of year is a 1/2 oz Damiki Vault blade bait. I cast and retrieve it like a lipless crankbait. I run them on 14 lb mono, Trilene XL. I have never measured a cast, but I am confident I can conservatively say I can break 50 yards with this setup.

13. Member
    There are a ton of variables on equipment and angler skills. As far as necessary is the answer.

About 300 yards would get you in the company of this guy, his best is 915 feet.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/record-casts/

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    This. I always laugh when guys are saying they're casting 60 yards, especially with a casting reel and some normal bait.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Further than your nonboater would be a good start.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

16. Member
    Average about 60 feet
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

A better question is: "How far can you set a hook"?

Most people can cast farther than they can reliably set a hook.

18. Member
    I tried on a practice football field with different length rods and similar Curado reels, 30lb braid. I could get 40 yards with either rod length with a 3/8oz swim jig. Some frogs I have cast really well, and are pretty heavy. On a good day I think I could maybe hit 50 with one of those, but I don’t think I could hit 60. I feel 40 is a long cast.

This is why there is rulers, most measurements are way off.......in many aspects of a mans life.

20. Member
    Most guys can't tell what 6 inches is let alone 60 yards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast