Progressive Insurance Woes

Bored being on this COVID-19 stay at home order so I thought I’d share my experience with Progressive for those considering their insurance.

I’ve been with Progressive for more than 15 years being a responsible boat owner never making a claim. My boat is well kept and babied (washing, waxing, fine tooth comb inspection after every use, etc.). Well the time finally came this past year when I needed to make a claim and both were denied with the representative saying the opposite each time.

First incident my son and I got caught on the Potomac in a nasty storm with huge swells. We were pounded hard numerous times making it back to the ramp. After loading the boat on the trailer I did the usual wipe down and found cracks along the top of the boat along the port side. Called Progressive and a rep came out and looked at the boat. I explained how I had gotten caught in a storm on the Potomac and was hit hard several times by swells on our journey back to the ramp. Claim denied — representative said its normal wear and tear and likely was caused by towing the boat on the trailer and not by hitting large swells so it wasn't covered.

Second incident my son and I were returning back from a fishing trip and I hit a section of road that had a huge hole in the middle of the lane. There was no chance avoiding the hole. The resulting violent hit in the hole caused hardware on the trailer’s suspension to snap and I nearly lost control having an accident. The suspension completely snapped and came apart on the starboard side of the boat. After coming to a stop I inspected the boat and found a large crack right above where the suspension had broke. Called Progressive and their rep inspected my boat. Claim denied - representative said the crack was normal wear and tear and likely happened hitting a huge swell - he said the boat is protected on the trailer and would not be damaged. OK the last time the same rep said the complete opposite.

I question if Progressive would ever pay for anything. It seems they say whatever it takes to get out of paying out.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

Sorry to hear about your issues with them. I'm sure the same will apply to them all at times. I had Progressive years ago and had no issues with an engine claim (~$5K). Bob just re-shopped my insurance, and now I'm back with Progressive again.

3. Member
    I've had progressive for 15 plus years, I have had two claims and they took care of them without any issues. Only problem is they raised my rate at renewal.

Sorry to hear that they denied your claim Ive been with them for ever also and have had one lower unit claim with no issues and did not raise my rates not sure why some areas they are not as good

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R1Peacock View Post
    Bored being on this COVID-19 stay at home order so I thought I’d share my experience with Progressive for those considering their insurance.

I’ve been with Progressive for more than 15 years being a responsible boat owner never making a claim. My boat is well kept and babied (washing, waxing, fine tooth comb inspection after every use, etc.). Well the time finally came this past year when I needed to make a claim and both were denied with the representative saying the opposite each time.

First incident my son and I got caught on the Potomac in a nasty storm with huge swells. We were pounded hard numerous times making it back to the ramp. After loading the boat on the trailer I did the usual wipe down and found cracks along the top of the boat along the port side. Called Progressive and a rep came out and looked at the boat. I explained how I had gotten caught in a storm on the Potomac and was hit hard several times by swells on our journey back to the ramp. Claim denied — representative said its normal wear and tear and likely was caused by towing the boat on the trailer and not by hitting large swells so it wasn't covered.

Second incident my son and I were returning back from a fishing trip and I hit a section of road that had a huge hole in the middle of the lane. There was no chance avoiding the hole. The resulting violent hit in the hole caused hardware on the trailer’s suspension to snap and I nearly lost control having an accident. The suspension completely snapped and came apart on the starboard side of the boat. After coming to a stop I inspected the boat and found a large crack right above where the suspension had broke. Called Progressive and their rep inspected my boat. Claim denied - representative said the crack was normal wear and tear and likely happened hitting a huge swell - he said the boat is protected on the trailer and would not be damaged. OK the last time the same rep said the complete opposite.

I question if Progressive would ever pay for anything. It seems they say whatever it takes to get out of paying out.
    PM sent
    Rich
    Hackettstown, NJ
    fishing66@optonline.net
    phone: nine seven three six four one zero one zero seven

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trgridley View Post
    I've had progressive for 15 plus years, I have had two claims and they took care of them without any issues. Only problem is they raised my rate at renewal.
    I cannot say your rates being raised after a claim is “normal” but it did happen to me when I had BoatUS now BoatUS aka Geico. I will not and cannot recommend them EVER. Sure they took care of me but raised my rates ridiculously high. I had BoatUS for several years with no claims, and one year I was heading to a tournament, it was dark, and there was a section of the highway several miles before I turn off to a state park that was apparently being repaved. Not one single construction sign warning of anything coming up, well apparently the day before they had just scrapped the top few layers of the road down and never ran a sweeper behind it. Truck in front of me hit the drop off where the scrapping began and it was like shotguns going off towards me. Tore up the front of my new truck, destroyed my trailer that had painted over gatorhyde, put a bunch of chips in the bottom of my boat all the way back to the lower unit. I was livid. I called the state who pointed the finger at the contracted construction company and I was completely blown off. They were very unprofessional..... Long story short BoatUS came out and found things I didn’t initially see and recommended fixing as he crawled around under my boat in the garage. Trailer was so bad off he had it sent back to the manufacturer to be refinished. Everything went well, and looks great. Kicker was policy renewal time, they raised my rates so high they basically forced me to drop them. They darn near doubled my policy. When I called BoatUs / Geico they said the rates went up due “local annual coverage reviews, geographical location....blah blah blah” I said really then why didn’t the dozen or more friends I have with your insurance change. She said “could be there address” I laughed and said one lives right next to me and another down the same street. When she said and her exact quote “I’m not sure what to tell you” I said as a retired Marine I know what I’m going to tell you, your a LIAR!!! If the geographical review raised rates all policies would go up, and a good company would have at least offered to review the policy with me. Again your LIAR!!! You cannot be honest and just say because I had a claim? She said is there anything else I can help you with, just completely avoided admitting it.

I called around and talked to a few insurance companies while explaining my one and only claim I’ve ever had on a boat, and Progressive gave me a great quote with even more coverage than I had with BoatUS. I have Progressive with Slide and Glide, and outboard coverage that covers the lower unit and prop. Hopefully I never have a reason to file a claim, but if I do my expectation is I will be taken care of.
    Last edited by Hooked247; 05-06-2020 at 01:11 PM.

7. Member
    I've had progressive for 15 plus years, I have had two claims and they took care of them without any issues. Only problem is they raised my rate at renewal. I changed insurance companies.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

8. Member
    Sometimes with insurance companies, you have to push them fairly hard to pay. I use State Farm. They have covered several non-boat items fairly well. But, for the roof replacement, it did take some pushing for them to replace the entire roof instead of just half.

9. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I always thought that ones car insurance is extended to a trailer?

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67