Need a phone call with a cmap expert

Are there any bbc brothers that would be willing to call me and walk me thru Cmap?
    ive kinda got a grasp on things but there are some things I’m not doing right

Im Just not getting the most out of Cmap
    ive downloaded social maps then I can’t find em
    i wanna get better at logging my own maps but I don’t wanna share them
    really I just need help with all the technical stuff

i need a quick tutorial over the phone-I have too many questions to type & search, I’d like to talk to someone
    I learn better that way
    ive watched all the videos on YouTube helpful but still have questions
    drop me a message if you’d be willing

and I know beggars can’t be choosers but I don’t want some Facebook-type bozo that thinks he’s an expert
    i want a tried n true guru

ill pay for your time

thanks

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpGumpy View Post

Im Just not getting the most out of Cmap
    1. ive downloaded social maps then I can’t find em
    2. i wanna get better at logging my own maps but I don’t wanna share them
    really I just need help with all the technical stuff

1. A few hints on the way:
    Don`t use any mapping-card for this, use an an empty memorycard of maximum 32GB formated to FAT32. A cheap one will do just fine, memorycards and water don`t mix and they will go bad over time.
    Make sure you register your unit correctly on your Genesis account. Use ONLY the info you find in the About-menu in your unit (take a screenshot so you have the info when checking what you registered in Genesis). DO NOT use any info from the box, from the sticker on the unit or your receipt, ONLY what you find in the About-menu. (I`m guessing this is where 90% of all users not seeing their maps go wrong, they have not used correct input.)
    When downloading a map from Genesis, it will download as a zip-file. This needs to be unzipped and will leave you with these files:

Marked in red is the original zip-file, that can be deleted once unzipped. ALL the other files go directly on your memorycard.
    You can verify that your unit recognizes the memorycard by going to Files (Storage) and memorycard in the unit.

2. High quality mapping comes from high quality input. For the best quality input, go slow (4-5 knots max) and use 200kHz with your unit in auto-mode. The tighter your tracks are, the more precise the finished map will be. When mapping a new area I typically do a first round with my tracks 50-100 meters (150-300 feet) apart, with both sonarlog (for Genesis uploading) and Genesis Live (to see what is there right now) going. I then review the Genesis Live map on my unit, and go back over the areas that looked interesting with tighter tracks in those sections.

Aditional info:
    Start and stop your sonarlog every 1-1,5 hours. This keeps the single sonarlogs small, which makes them easier to upload, and easier for the Genesis-staff to work with.
    If you want to keep your sonarlogs private, you will need the Edge-subscription and mark the sonarlogs as "Private" when uploading. On the good side this means you have access to maps with bottom-composition and vegetation as well. On the not so good side, keeping your sonarlogs private means you will have none of your sonarlogs transferred to Social Map, so you will have to burn a lot of fuel and hours mapping stuff that might already have been covered, or will be covered by someone else in the future.

Good luck, Genesis is a fantastic thing if used properly. (I have 800+ hours of sonarlogs uploaded.)

3. Member
    WOW, did not know this was as powerful a tool

4. Scraps
    Yeah, this helps. I've sort of figured out that I want the Edge capabilities. Primarily the bottom composition stuff is handy in grass/quarry lakes I fish.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    q:
    after unzipping, can you rename to it's actual lake name?

hard to know what's what when you have four or five on t card wih the long file name given

I usually drop the entire unzipped folder, rather than just the files

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    1. A few hints on the way:
    Don`t use any mapping-card for this, use an an empty memorycard of maximum 32GB formated to FAT32. A cheap one will do just fine, memorycards and water don`t mix and they will go bad over time.
    Make sure you register your unit correctly on your Genesis account. Use ONLY the info you find in the About-menu in your unit (take a screenshot so you have the info when checking what you registered in Genesis). DO NOT use any info from the box, from the sticker on the unit or your receipt, ONLY what you find in the About-menu. (I`m guessing this is where 90% of all users not seeing their maps go wrong, they have not used correct input.)
    When downloading a map from Genesis, it will download as a zip-file. This needs to be unzipped and will leave you with these files:

Marked in red is the original zip-file, that can be deleted once unzipped. ALL the other files go directly on your memorycard.
    You can verify that your unit recognizes the memorycard by going to Files (Storage) and memorycard in the unit.

2. High quality mapping comes from high quality input. For the best quality input, go slow (4-5 knots max) and use 200kHz with your unit in auto-mode. The tighter your tracks are, the more precise the finished map will be. When mapping a new area I typically do a first round with my tracks 50-100 meters (150-300 feet) apart, with both sonarlog (for Genesis uploading) and Genesis Live (to see what is there right now) going. I then review the Genesis Live map on my unit, and go back over the areas that looked interesting with tighter tracks in those sections.

Aditional info:
    Start and stop your sonarlog every 1-1,5 hours. This keeps the single sonarlogs small, which makes them easier to upload, and easier for the Genesis-staff to work with.
    If you want to keep your sonarlogs private, you will need the Edge-subscription and mark the sonarlogs as "Private" when uploading. On the good side this means you have access to maps with bottom-composition and vegetation as well. On the not so good side, keeping your sonarlogs private means you will have none of your sonarlogs transferred to Social Map, so you will have to burn a lot of fuel and hours mapping stuff that might already have been covered, or will be covered by someone else in the future.

Good luck, Genesis is a fantastic thing if used properly. (I have 800+ hours of sonarlogs uploaded.)

as far as the physical driving & mapping-I’ve got that pretty well figured out

thats what’s getting me is unzipping files and then getting them to pop up on my unit
    all my units are registered
    2 gen3 & 1 carbon
    when I download map I’m making sure I’m selecting the right graph to load it to
    i right click the zipped file-extract all-and send it to the SD card
    all successful
    then put that card in the graph and I can’t find the lake I loaded....

i can go thru the CMap store on my graphs(WiFi) and I can load them on to the graph(tedious this way but it works) and it’ll ask me if I want to view that map......
    I downloaded about 5 lakes
    but only a couple show up in my chart options-where’d the other ones go?.
    i hope I’m makin sense
    thats why I wanna just talk to someone

does CMap have a technologically challenged hotline?

Anyone have or know of good videos showing how to ?
    Basscat P4

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpGumpy View Post
    as far as the physical driving & mapping-I’ve got that pretty well figured out

thats what’s getting me is unzipping files and then getting them to pop up on my unit
    all my units are registered
    2 gen3 & 1 carbon
    when I download map I’m making sure I’m selecting the right graph to load it to
    i right click the zipped file-extract all-and send it to the SD card
    all successful
    then put that card in the graph and I can’t find the lake I loaded....

i can go thru the CMap store on my graphs(WiFi) and I can load them on to the graph(tedious this way but it works) and it’ll ask me if I want to view that map......
    I downloaded about 5 lakes
    but only a couple show up in my chart options-where’d the other ones go?.
    i hope I’m makin sense
    thats why I wanna just talk to someone

does CMap have a technologically challenged hotline?
    You need make a folder for each lake and put the lake files into that folder. Whatever name you give the folder will be what's displayed on the graph. And you can load as many as you want onto the card. I have have at least 6.

9. Member
    I can download a social map, put the card in my carbon unit and the map won’t show up on it. The carbon unit is networked to a live unit and the map will show up on the networked live unit. I can put the card in the live unit and the map won’t show up on either unit???

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbmitch View Post
    You need make a folder for each lake and put the lake files into that folder. Whatever name you give the folder will be what's displayed on the graph. And you can load as many as you want onto the card. I have have at least 6.
    Wipe all lake data from the card then do as stated above. Make sure both units are registered on the c map website.

11. Member
    Just figured it out. On the carbon under settings/chart /hide chart was turned on. Turned it off and it shows. The live does not have an option to turn off the chart. Thanks.