Engine temps too high at certain rpms

I have a 2014 250 Etec HO when the motor runs at idle the temps are fine but as soon as I put it in forward and give it a little throttle going thru a no wake zone, around 750-1000 rpms the motor temp climbs up to 200. I have the data cable hooked up from the motor to my Lowrance graph so the temp reading is correct. As soon as I get on pad and run the boat the temps starts to come down or if I let off the throttle and have it in gear and just idle it will slowing start to come down. I had a marina look at it but they cleaned out the water stream lines because they were caked up with sand and grit. The stream is strong now but still getting very hot temps. Anybody have any idea what it can be?

Model# E250HGLAA
    serial# 05380621

2. Member
    Anytime with any brand if you are chasing a hot running situation the first place to look is the source of the cooling water, that being the water pump.

Water pump was replaced 1 1/2 years ago but it was doing this high temps before I changed the water pump thinking that’s what it was but it still did it after the new pump was put in.

4. Member
    I have an 07 225 etec that does the exact same thing, new water pump kit maybe has 20 hours on it.

5. Member
    If the lines had sand in them what about the T-Stats ?

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Ding Ding !! We have a winner.....

Is there a transducer or anything mounted on the jackplate or transom that might interrupt or aerate the flow of water going to the inlet screens. The reason I ask is because I started experience high temps on my ICOMMAND gauge and noticed my water pressure was weak even though my impeller was like new. This all started right after I installed a side scan transducer under my jack plate. To resolve my issue I changed my inlet screens to a larger size. When I done this my water pressure increased and engine running temp decreased.

My 08 will do the same thing, even after the 300 hour service where they replace the WP and T stats. The alarm does not go off though. Guess it's the nature of the beast. Great strong motors we have.
    I do have a Lowrance side scan ducer mounted to the JP like JR talks about but I have an L2 Lower with the big mouth screens so I guess thats not it. I have the WP sending unit that sends the signal through NEMA 2000 to my HDS9G3
    Last edited by tdt91; 04-08-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    My 08 will do the same thing, even after the 300 hour service where they replace the WP and T stats. The alarm does not go off though. Guess it's the nature of the beast. Great strong motors we have.
    Looking at the OP's model number he has 4 choices of water screen inlet sizes. This was also the same case for my 150 HO and I bet is also the same for your 200 HO. The first time I installed the largest screens which were .410 and it gave me too much water pressure. I was pegging the needle at wide open throttle and my engine temp drastically dropped when on plane. It dropped to the point where it was running too cool. Then I ordered the .160 screens and this was the correct size to solve my particular issue. At idle I am 2-4 PSI and 25-28 PSI at wide open throttle. At idle my temps is around 165-170 but when I get on plane it will drop to 120 after a mile or so running down the lake. If I let here eat for long periods the temp is 140 ish. Changing the inlet screens resolved my high engine temps.

10. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    High temps on my 150HO come while cruising ~4000 rpms or fast idles in no-wake zones. Temps will get up around 175-180. If I shut it off before the engine temps come back down to 155-160, I'll get vapor lock when I go to restart it. I've done a bunch of reading on it and the best I could come up with was trying the larger water screens. I thought about trying them but I already have good water pressure and new thermostats. I guess it's something I'll just have to learn to live with.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    High temps on my 150HO come while cruising ~4000 rpms or fast idles in no-wake zones. Temps will get up around 175-180. If I shut it off before the engine temps come back down to 155-160, I'll get vapor lock when I go to restart it. I've done a bunch of reading on it and the best I could come up with was trying the larger water screens. I thought about trying them but I already have good water pressure and new thermostats. I guess it's something I'll just have to learn to live with.
    is 175-180 actually high temp? seen mercs with displays higher than that on runs a lot?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    If the lines had sand in them what about the T-Stats ?
    I guess my question is which part of the motor keeps the engine temp down when the motor is running @ 750-1100 rpms. At 400-500 rpms in gear the motor does not get too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Is there a transducer or anything mounted on the jackplate or transom that might interrupt or aerate the flow of water going to the inlet screens. The reason I ask is because I started experience high temps on my ICOMMAND gauge and noticed my water pressure was weak even though my impeller was like new. This all started right after I installed a side scan transducer under my jack plate. To resolve my issue I changed my inlet screens to a larger size. When I done this my water pressure increased and engine running temp decreased.
    yes a have the Lowrance side/down imaging transducer mounted under the back (step back) of the boat. It’s not on the jack plate.

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    I would consider trying the .160 inlet screens. They cost $22...I am 99% sure the part number you need is 5006337...your engine modle number will confirm what part number you need.

Quote Originally Posted by luigisbass View Post
    yes a have the Lowrance side/down imaging transducer mounted under the back (step back) of the boat. It’s not on the jack plate.

Now think about the timeline of when you started experiencing temperature issues and when the transducer was mounted. If they are similiar I would say aerated water is your issue. If there is no correlation whatsoever in the temperature issue and when the transducer was mounted then I have zero idea what your problem might be. I just just sharing my past experience and hope you can get your issue resolved. First I am not a tech nor do I claim to be. All I have is passion to learn about boat motors. My background is Industrial Maintenance so I will look at this from a troubleshooting process like I was trying to figure something out at work...if your T sats are working properly, your water pump is in good health and the water passage has no clogs, restrictions and clean water flow then I would consider larger inlet screens. Again purely my opinion.

15. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    is 175-180 actually high temp? seen mercs with displays higher than that on runs a lot?
    It’s certainly not outside the normal operating range. It just seems to result in high temps under the cowling that cause vapor lock, even in the winter!

Gene, I ordered a set of the 5005063 and 5006337 screens. I'm going to give them a try. They are listed as high flow and ultra high flow.
    Last edited by headhigh; 04-10-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Looking at the OP's model number he has 4 choices of water screen inlet sizes. This was also the same case for my 150 HO and I bet is also the same for your 200 HO. The first time I installed the largest screens which were .410 and it gave me too much water pressure. I was pegging the needle at wide open throttle and my engine temp drastically dropped when on plane. It dropped to the point where it was running too cool. Then I ordered the .160 screens and this was the correct size to solve my particular issue. At idle I am 2-4 PSI and 25-28 PSI at wide open throttle. At idle my temps is around 165-170 but when I get on plane it will drop to 120 after a mile or so running down the lake. If I let here eat for long periods the temp is 140 ish. Changing the inlet screens resolved my high engine temps.
    Do you know the part # of the screens you installed?

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Go to www.shop2.evinrude.com and look up your model number, then select gearcase the screen options will come up for you.

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Go to www.shop2.evinrude.com and look up your model number, then select gearcase the screen options will come up for you.
    excellent advice...

boats.net is a good resource to order Evinrude parts but support your local dealer when possible.

I used the model number the OP listed in reply #1 and it looks like the inlet screens for my 150 HO and his 250 HO are the same. In reply #9 my comment was directed to tdt91 but it appears the same thing applies to the original poster luigisbass...so lugisbass please read the comments in reply #9 but as champioNman suggest always verify with your model number.

Now in my particular situation the .410 increased my water pressure too much. The .160 was perfect for my particular needs. If you want to try the .410 let me know and I will ship them to you to try out...no charge...always willing to help a BBC/Evinrude brother if I can.