judging distance

Thirty plus years ago most courses had the red, white and blue stakes along the edge of the fairways. I was always able to get a decent estimation on the distance to the green. 10 years or so ago I bought a GPS watch so no more guessing. I got lazy in determining distance with just a visual look at the green. The River Club in Clarksville does not have the course on the watch. Their carts all have GPS systems which helps me not because I like to walk. Only 2 holes have the blue, white and red plates in the fairways. I under clubbed on 5 of my approach shots due to poor judgement on the distance. I guess I need to get back to the basics of this most difficult game. It sure was a beautiful day to play. The course is practicing social distancing. There were only a handful of players out today. May try and play later in the week if I'm not turkey hunting. yep like is good!

2. Member
    Luv my golf buddy GPS. It's become a crutch I am missing when I leave it at home, not on purpose. I did construction lay out/ land survey for 30 years, so I have a good concept of distance, but nothing like GPS to give confidence in real, accurate distances.

If you been playing for a long time then you should have a good eye for distance.
    It's going on 4 weeks our Gov closed. The course I joined pulled the flags so I couldn't shoot the distance and the GPS I had I gave to my one brother 2 years ago.
    The first week the course closed me and a few buddies played and we all just shot to the middle of the green and it was interesting how we sort of played better not knowing the actual distance to the pin but from experience of eyeing up the distance.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

4. Member
    GPS is good, but nothing beats a lazer. Point, push and hold and you have the exact yardage. It won't help you with blind shots or layups like a yardage book will, but still the fastest and most simple tool in golf.

I like it becasue it gives me hope. Hope that I can hit my distance.
    08 Triton 17 Explorer/08 90 Merc

5. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Yeah, a laser range finder and a yardage book.

I am a numbers nerd, no way I am guessing at any distance. I use my slope range finder to shoot the flag and my GPS to get the front and back of green.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

7. Member
    i played the River Club again today. Walking down the fairways I was paying attention looking for the blue white and red plates. I found only 3 holes with these plates. The cart paths are not marked with blue white and red stripes. None of the sprinkler heads had yardage on them. Guess i need to find an app on my phone that shows the distance per hole for this course. I like my bushnell GPS that shows front, center and back of the greens. Too bad this course isn't on the watch. I went to Scotland 8 years ago to play 5 courses. All those courses were on my watch. Go figure that a local course isn't on it.

8. Member
    I’ve always

9. Member
    I guess the distances before I shot it with the laser. I am often within 2 yards. I figure using me eyeballs/brain before the laser gun keeps everything working up there. I actually enjoy the once in a while when the battery goes dead. New Challenge!

I'm usually pretty good at being within 3-5 yards. Buddy uses a range finder every shot, and I tell him the distance I think it is before he uses the range finder. He gets mad at me for being able to judge the distance with my eyes and he can't.

I still use my phone pretty often, have a app that tells you distance to center of the green on most courses. Pretty accurate from what I've seen, use it on some courses that have gps in the carts to just compare and it is usually within a yard.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

11. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    I laser everything.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

I am all for knowing distance for anything that is full club. Inside of that it is more about sight and feel. I don't see knowing exactly it is 40 vs 30 yards makes any difference of how I play a shot based on what I see in front of me. Maybe that is why I am high handicap
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Got one of the laser range finders with slope, really helped me with chosing correct shot to play.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

14. Banned
    Yardage is everything. Especially if you know the course, being below the hole is crucial on our courses.