Food for thought.....

I was thinking about this today, Patoka is and has been for a few years a lake in transition, starting most of its life as a weed bed lake and now transitioning over to a hard structure type of lake with focus on drops as well. For more years than I can remember 100’s of nice bass have been relocated from areas all over the lake to Newton Stewart south due to the influx of tournament’s that put out of that ramp. If you really stop and think about it this is huge, so many quality fish being moved to one spot, and this year it’s not happening, the majority of the fat females can and will spawn wherever they are, the males will do what they do and the bass will disperse into the local cover and get on with life as they know it, changes as small or large as they may be can have dramatic impact, curious how this unfolds.......

I think one of the reasons I do well when I go to patoka is I fish structure, not memory of weed beds. I remember the weeds, but was never the first thing I looked for. Of course it could just be that I've been lucky, since I normally suck at catching fish.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    You bring up an interesting thought Robert. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

4. Member
    If that theory is correct, then there will be two years of this happening. Last year there were so few fish caught and Weighed in the tournaments that it was almost like we did not fish last years spawn either.

Don’t see where reduced movement of spawning fish will be bad. Probably in a avg spring tournament with 25 boats you be talking about 100-180 fish being relocated with culls happening. Many of the size that are the best spawners.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Don’t see where reduced movement of spawning fish will be bad. Probably in a avg spring tournament with 25 boats you be talking about 100-180 fish being relocated with culls happening. Many of the size that are the best spawners.
    Oh I agree, and that was my point

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    Oh I agree, and that was my point
    Remind me to ask how many 1lb fish you are catching 3 years from now.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

I have caught more 1 pounders in the past two trips than I did the past 2 years. Was pleasantly surprised catching so many small ones.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Remind me to ask how many 1lb fish you are catching 3 years from now.
    I do know this, at least for me I’m catching a nice variety of small to 3lb fish plus last year with the high water I know we had a good hatch because I saw the schools, I’m very optimistic about the future

10. Member
    When I went out this past weekend I seen more people fishing than I normally do especially this time of year and I would bet a lot of these people that don't normally go but are going now because they have nothing else to do will be eating them