Terrible hole shot 2003 200 hpdi

Originally posted this in the Yamaha forum and general topics but was recommended I try here.

I bought a 2003 Skeeter zx200 late last fall and only took it out once before the winter. During that trip I noticed that my hole shot was awful. The engine felt sluggish and unresponsive while trying to get on plane which took around 15 seconds. Once on plane it felt and ran great and was very responsive but only hit 55 mph at around 5700-5800 rpms. So I put it to bed for the winter after that and figured I'd try it again in the spring and see what happens. Took it out the other day for the first time this year and the same thing is happening. The engine idles great and starts on the first turn every time.

Before taking it out last year I changed every filter including injector filters and mystery filters, as well as the plugs, and it has fresh gas with ring free in it. It also has dual poles with a 12 inch slidemaster jackplate. The compression on all cylinders is good. At takeoff I'm around 4000 rpms with a fully trimmed engine with the hotfoot all the way down. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the engine, the hot foot adjustment, or if it's propped incorrectly. It currently has a four blade prop on it. I attached a picture of it because I wasn't 100% certain what pitch it is. I think it's 24. Any help is much appreciated since I am certainly at a loss.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Mph is a little slow for the rpms in my opinion. But rpms are above recommended so I don’t think it’s a running problem.

3. Member
    Update:

I took the prop to pad measurement following this guideline

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=157208

I came up with exactly 1 inch for my prop to pad which is definitely not right so I'm assuming this is the issue. Does anyone know what the correct prop to pad should be for this setup?

4. Member
    3.5” is a good starting point. Come up 1/4 at a time until you loose speed or water pressure drops significantly then come back down 1/4. Lock it down and see how it runs out.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

5. Member
    What he said ^^^^^ watch your water pressure. Drop it an inch and see what she does.
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645