Thread: MDI issues

MDI issues

I just got a newer boat and put my electronics from my old boat to go with the ones already on this boat. My two old gen 1 units work well but I’m having issues with the 2 that were on it. The two old ones are 1 helix 9 and one helix 10. The new ones with issues are helix 9 Chirp SI G2N and Helix 10 mega DI G3N. All networked together with 360. All have latest software and good power.

Helix 10 MDI is my first concern. It uses the MDI transducer built in the ultrex. The 2D and DI are giving me issues. It comes and goes. It will work semi decent for a minute but then it will cut out and lose depth completely. Sometimes it will show a faint bottom line and have depth but but the chart will be moving at a super slow speed despite being set to 10. I took some pics today but can’t post them from my ipad. Anybody ever experience something like this?

the helix 9 has an issue with the SI view. It’s only showing the right side of the boat. The left side is mostly just a solid brown blotch. Thoughts here? I’m thinking maybe a bad transducer. The guy I bought the boat from is a friend so he didn’t sell me a crap setup. He never used the SI though so who knows how long it’s been not working.

First suspect is POWER. Exactly how is power getting from the battery to the units---all the connections and parts?

Next is the transom transducer's placement so it can "see" left and right from the water's surface to past vertical under the transducer on both sides.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne. I am running a 12 ga marine wire from the accessory power wires under the dash to the bow. Each end has brand new power blocks that all the components are connected to. With the Ultrex puck and the 360 I wanted to have them on the switch. Even when I turn the other 3 units off and disconnect from the Ethernet, the issues remain unchanged. Also the diagnostic view shows 12.2 volts if that's helpful.

Although the SI transducer placement isn't optimal, it definitely has an open view of the left side of the boat.

Appreciate the help.

For the bow, are you using the Built-in HW+ MDI setting?

You may have a weak piezo in the transom transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Yes I am using the built in MDI setting. I tried selecting different transducers just in case but it doesn't change anything. I was thinking about bringing the transducer meant for the transom to plug in an hold over the side to rule out a bad transducer in the ultrex. I can't imagine the ultrex ducer is bad though because it's less than a year old and has been used about 5 times.

I will look into buying a replacement SI transducer then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbassin22 View Post
    Yes I am using the built in MDI setting. I tried selecting different transducers just in case but it doesn't change anything. I was thinking about bringing the transducer meant for the transom to plug in an hold over the side to rule out a bad transducer in the ultrex. I can't imagine the ultrex ducer is bad though because it's less than a year old and has been used about 5 times.

I will look into buying a replacement SI transducer then.
    Any transducer can fail or be weak/faulty when new.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    If the transom mount transducer works fine, can you tell me if the AD MTM HW MDI is the appropriate adapter to put it on the trolling motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Sbassin22 View Post
    If the transom mount transducer works fine, can you tell me if the AD MTM HW MDI is the appropriate adapter to put it on the trolling motor?
    That is the trolling motor adapter for the transom MEGA DI+ transducer. BUT you may not have room on the motor with the MDI.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL