Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    alone.

2. Member
    Fish by myself at least 75% of the time and maybe 90%. Unhook everything, loop a rope around trolling motor and winch handle just in case I mess up. Back boat in slowly until I notice the ass end barely lift. If I am perfect, the boat will float backward about 6-12". Get out and climb in boat, back off, dock, let engine warm up and then park. Every once in a while on a steep ramp that gets deep fast, the rope will save the day.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Fish mostly by myself. Have 30' of rope that I attach to the boat and then to a truck cleat. I back in the boat and drift it off. Pull up the truck slightly then untie and either beach the boat or tie off to a dock.
    Same here, easy and safe!

Fish by myself 90% of the time. I back the boat in until it floats up a little. Get out, unhook the winch, push the boat off and then get on the deck with my right knee. I stand up and when the boat clears the trailer I drop the TM in and ease over to the dock and tie off with a short rope. Takes no more that 2-3 minutes.

wife normally goes with me and I back the boat in unload it off the trailer and while im tieing it to the dock she will pull the truck and trailer out of the water. once im tied to the dock I go up and back the trailer in a spot since she is uncomfortable backing a trailer up. if she can just pull in to a parking spot at the ramp she will but backing it up is a different story.
    when we go to load up I tie up to the dock while she stays in the boat. I back the trailer in load up and she pulls the boat out.

that's the normal way most of the time if shes with me.
    if shes not its all me but same process just takes a tad longer but not by much. if im at a tournament and by myself I make sure im there pretty early so I can get in the water by myself before the ramp gets too busy.

6. Member
    My Trick Step is about invaluable when launching by myself. My wife could load my big glass boat like a champ. She struggles with the aluminum boat because the wind move it around so easy. I have no problem loading or unloading by myself. I loosen the winch strap then lock it down. After a while you'll know about how far you need to be able to back it off. I tie up to a dock and go park the truck. Reverse the process on the way back in. If you tie to a dock try and do in on the downwind side. Some of the docks around here have exposed nails or bolts that will wear a boat out.

7. Member
    Usually with a driver. I have only launched once by myself. This is something I need to get in the habit of doing. Especially, since I plan to retire within 12 months.

8. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    My wife goes with me almost every time, but she will not get in the truck or drive the boat. So I just back down the ramp stopping when the trailer is deep enough to drive off but the boat won't float off. Get out, unhook the strap, climb in the front using the BassCat steps and pole. Fire it up, drive it off the trailer and tie it up to the dock.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

9. Member
    Good suggestions here - you will settle on a routine, although it may vary a bit
    depending on launch type (shallow, deep, sand, fishing partner, etc.)
    Also, practice a couple of times when no one is around - you will not hold anyone up
    nor be self-conscious/flustered as you learn.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

10. Member
    launch myself 90 %of the time .With a camper shell i use a rope and tie to dock and back it in

By myself. I bought a 25’ (stretches to 45-50’) boat launch bungee. It works exceptionally well. If you pull the trailer up slowly after the boat slides off the bungee pulls the boat slowly back up the ramp. I keep an old bath mat on the front deck to wipe off my shoes if the ramp is wet/dirty.
    https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Boat-A...20&sr=8-2&th=1
    Sometimes I launch and tie up to the dock, but I’ve grown comfortable with launching, and letting the bungee pull the boat back up to the ramp, and making full use of my Hamby. Never thought I would, but that’s much easier than launching, tying up, walking back from the dock to the truck, parking, and then walking back to the dock.
    If my wife goes she likes backing me in, and taking me out. And she’s very good at it.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

12. Member
    Since my Pops is now almost legally blind due to a stroke, I’ve been launching by myself for about 15 yrs now. I do like most have posted-loosen the winch to about 2.5ft of strap and then reengage the winch to forward, back in until the boat just lifts off the trailer, climb in, fire up, unhook the winch, drive off, and tie up to the dock. Then, I pay my launch fee and park the truck. Reverse the process when loading up. I can do it pretty quick and I don’t tie up the launch very long. Folks understand when they see my Pops with me. When I am alone, it’s the same process.

14. Member
    There are only a couple people I will let back my rig down the ramp and younger brother I fish with the most is not on that list and the wife is not either. I fish alone probably 60% of the time. Back truck down ramp, launch boat and hold with power poles down, pull truck/trailer away and grab dog then head to boat.

15. Member
    Most lakes I fish have docks. I keep winch strap attached but let a few feet out. Back down as close to dock and until ass end of boat starts to float. Walk dock and jump on boat. Unhook winch strap, fire up the motor, back off trailer and tie to dock. Go park truck.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    I fish by myself often and have a routine, however it may not work for all ramps or boats. I back down somewhat close to the dock very slow. Once the aft of the boat starts to float I stop, put in park and E brake. Get out walk down dock, step onto boat, start boat and drive the rest of the way of trailer. Tie it up, step onto dock, walk up dock, get into truck and park in the parking lot.
    ^^^ this

With most boat ramps I don't even need to use the dock to step into the boat, I can just step on the trailer tongue and up on the bow. If the ramp is very shallow that won't work though.

Quote Originally Posted by gatechfan View Post
    I don’t use a rope. I just back down ramp until boat floats slightly off trailer. Then if it a shallow ramp, I open tailgate again top of ramp, back down until boat floats slightly. Put truck in park, hop in bed of truck via rear tire, walk from tailgate to trailer, unhook, pull off and go to dock. Then park truck. Same once you load it, climb in bed, out of bed onto rear truck tire and pull off ramp. That way, you don’t have to get wet any on shallow ramps....good luck
    This is how I do it!
    I can launch and load anywhere on the ramp. I don’t need to launch or retrieve next to the dock. They even make a step that attaches to the rear truck tire which would make it even easier.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

18. Banned
    Fish by myself about 70% of the time, so I would say 70% of the time I launch the boat myself.
    Unhook everything except winch strap, I leave winch strap with about a foot and half of strap free. I then back down until boat begins to float , turn truck off, board boat, dock boat, park truck, and go fishing!

The only time I did he rope trick was back when I was driving my old Jeep Grand Cherokee, pulling a Tracker. At the lake I went to back it those days, I could back the boat down fairly fast and then hit the brakes when the boat floated....then jump out, grab the rope and run around to the dock and pull it up and tie it off. I was sooo happy to have finally traded out for a pickup.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

20. Member
    I fish alone 80% of the time. Occasionally the wife goes with me and she backs the boat in and parks the truck. That is nice. When alone I tie a rope to the truck and the bow eye. I float the boat off and tie up to a dock or beach the boat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast