Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lane44 View Post
    I gotcha If I were to mount talons to the jack plate does it need to be pre drilled?
    I could be wrong but I'm quite sure the adapter plates are designed for whatever jackplate you buy and use the existing holes. You shouldn't have to drill anything.
    Bill Spence
    San Diego, CA

2. Member
    To the OP, I would exercise a little caution on adding a jack plate which will move the motor 6 or more inches aft and you mention the possibility of power poles. that will move the center of gravity aft considerably. I am pasting a post I made sometime back along with the link to the original thread here on BBC. I make no recommendation and I have no experience with your particular set up. I hope the information below is helpful. Also the included link might be useful in understanding what prompted the discussion.

Paul,(the original poster in the thread shown in the link below) I am not familiar with your hull. I will assume it has a pad to run on as opposed to a flat rear half or even a shallow V in the rear. There is a lot of mis information out there on jackplates. Below is a cut and paste of a post I made a while back on the mercury 4 stroke forum. I was just giving some reason why I totally agreed with something Don Weed had said in response to a member and questions about a 150 4 stroke. I hope it will give you some useable information. You might even find that thread interesting. I am adding a link to the original thread my copy and paste came from. Post #25 is Don's post I was responding too. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1028631

Below is the cut and paste:

Don is 100% correct, and it is true for a boat like the OP or a boat like mine, 20XD with a 250XS. First, what is the purpose of a jack plate? Primary is to allow changing the height of the motor easily. The secondary purpose is to move the prop back into better water for those boats that run a motor very high.

There is a lot of mis understanding out there on jackplates. The fulcrum is NOT the pad. The fulcrum is the face of the jack plate where the motor is attached. Think of it like this; wrap one arm around the front of the motor cowling and push forward on the prop with the other and attempt to raise the front of the boat. This is what the motor is doing. The farther back you put that fulcrum the harder it is to pick up the front of the boat. As Don said moving the motor back makes the effective length of the boat longer. Pick up a sledge hammer by the very end of the handle. Hold it out parallel to the ground. Now choke up about 6 inches and repeat. Which position is easier to hold the hammer parallel to the ground?

So why do we move the motor back on high performance boats? Many of these boats run motors very high. I would expect the OP's boat may have the prop centerline 3-4 inches below the bottom of the boat. A boat like mine runs the centerline of the prop 1-3/8" ABOVE the pad, some even more. If you run the motor that high without a jackplate, the prop would be more than half way out of the water. Therefore we have to shove the motor back to where the water is higher relative to the bottom of the boat and is better water. At higher speeds even with my 12" setback my prop arc will have the top blade 1-2 inches out of the water. It is a constant trade off with set back verses lift. In my case I have enough horsepower to weight to move the boat fast enough to start generating lift. Most boats with a pad generate little lift below 60 MPH. You have to stuff air under the hull along with the motor torque to actually "fly" the hull.
    Many think pushing the stern of the boat down is the same as lifting the front, it is not.

I have no experience with a boat like the OP's but if what Don says is correct about lift it may help to make the effective length of the boat shorter thus getting the boat up a little easier.

Full disclosure: I stole some of the wording and examples from Paul Nichols over on the Bullet page. Many think Paul is one of the best in setting up high performance boats, I would agree.

I’ve been running a CMC manual plate for about 20 years and no issues.

4. Member
    Alright cool, with 8 inch will I have to change anything as I read on like hoses or something?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lane44 View Post
    Alright cool, with 8 inch will I have to change anything as I read on like hoses or something?
    Good chance you will with that much setback.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    I’ve been running a CMC manual plate for about 20 years and no issues.
    Same here, only 28 years on a Hydra-Sports LS-180. And .."NOT JUNK".
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

7. Member
    Before you pull the trigger I would get some specific info regarding your exact hull, motor and load. If you set up a 6" plate and the benefits are nominal you would be irritated if you find out later that an 8" plate was the ticket. Do your specific research first. Whichever way you go there is a possibility that you will need to address shifting and steering cable lengths.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    find a good used 6 inch slidemaster!!
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new)
    200 hp Rude ficht -re200flssh
    twin 12 ft. talons-blue water leds
    lms520c--hds7-hds9 gen2
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    bravo1 fs croxtonized
    proud dad of an ARMY Lieutenant.
    proud uncle of an ARMY Sergeant
    member of "team deplorable" MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    If you sandwich the talon bracket between the jackplate and engine you’ll have 7“ of setback.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12