Question Can you imagine ...

... if this mess had occurred 40+ years ago ? I'm speaking of the pre-computer era many here will remember well, when doing mundane things like renewing a driver's license, registration, filing for unemployment, etc. required you to be there in person to fill out forms, many of which had multiple carbon copies. Said forms would then have to be reviewed by a person who checked everything for accuracy and mistakes. You had to wait in a long line and miss work time in many cases ... Uh Oh, you made a mistake ? Too bad buddy, to the back of the line you go They wouldn't have been able to function had they faced today's crisis, it would have been a disaster of epic proportions.

It's funny that people are having meltdowns over web sites crashing temporarily. Fair enough I guess if you were born with a device in your hand and it's second nature to you. Just putting it in perspective, not jabbing at anyone. I'm 55 and I'm the last person you'll ever hear starting a sentence with "Back in my day" ... I'm thrilled beyond words of what we're capable of now with a tiny device no bigger than a deck of cards, literally the combined knowledge of mankind in the palm of your hand (knowing WHAT to do with that knowledge is another thing) and being able to conduct much of my daily business from my living room at 2 am if I feel like it.
    Ranting incoherently

It would not have been the same 40 years ago, because of a whole different set of factors.

3. Member
    Kind of reminds me of the good ole days but maybe 60+ years cheap gas and grounded.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    It would not have been the same 40 years ago, because of a whole different set of factors.

Yep, we travel a whole lot more now than we did back then... International travel especially... Air travel was for the well off or business traveler... Hell, When I started with American Airlines back in 1984 most people who travel by air got dressed in their Sunday's Best... I pretty sure 1st class required a coat and tie... Today air travel is almost a freak show... Dan

5. Banned
    If this had happened 40+ years ago we wouldn't have seen it coming and the worst would already be over. We would be on our way to rebuilding, more people might have died but it would have happened like it has for 1000's of years where a disease goes through and kills off the population without immunity.