Updated my Solix 12 SI to software 3.6: jog wheel no longer works, no basemaps.

Hi all.

Have a new to me boat that came with Humminbird. I have been on Lowrance for over a decade, so struggling to learn the Humminbird tricks. I went through the software upgrade process carefully to 3.6 (applying 3.5 first).

Problem 1: did not get base maps. Maps look like a blurry mess with no details or overlays or anything. I downloaded the basemap files and when I insert the cards nothing happens.
    Problem 2: Before the upgrade the jog wheel would zoom in and out, and allow fine detail adjustment in menus. Now it does literally nothing as if it no longer functions.

Has anyone else had either of these issues and knows the tricks? Forgive my newb-ness and thank you.

Did you do a Restore Factory Defaults AFTER each software update?
    The blurry map is the built-in background map, to see the Humminbird Basemap, you have to turn that on in the Settings/Chart menu.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I did not restore factory defaults after. I had the instructions printed out for the solix and helix (i have one of each). Helix instructions mention a reset BEFORE the update. Solix instructions did not mention restoring defaults. Is losing the jog-wheel a known thing if you don't restore factory defaults?

As for the basemap: I'm only seeing two options in my menu...my navionics card and Humminbird. The latter brings up the crappy blurry map. Should I be seeing 3 options?

Thx again.

Humminbird is either the Humminbird Basemap or Humminbird Chart Card (
    a Lakemaster map card )
    My unit has a world wide basemap and that comes up sometimes as the blurry map. That was in the unit's memory before the Humminbird Basemap was installed as part of a software update. If that happens, I just cycle through the Chart Map sources and it goes to the Humminbird Basemap. If I have a Navionics card in the unit, none of that happens--just reads the Navionics card.
    The Humminbird Basemap is the 2017 Lakemaster coverage with no locations being HD--default for Simulator is Lake Guntersville.

You know now that you should do a Restore Defaults after the installation is complete. The software does it automatically before it loads the software whether you follow the instructions for not. Some don't.
    Most of the time doing a Restore Defaults AFTER the installation fixes some quirks. Several on this site have been doing updates for years and know that is a resolution sometimes. It is also suggested if you have an issue and contact Humminbird Customer Service.
    It may or may not fix the wheel glitch. Never had that issue with the 19 updates I have installed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thanks Wayne. The jog wheel came back after two restarts.

I talked to Humminbird support, they said I'd have to install the basemaps separately. I had that card ready to go, but it wasn't kicking off an install on insert. They showed me how to force a manual install. I hung up with them about 45 min ago and it's still only at 18%. Getting nervous, but keeping fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by bbarthelt View Post
    Thanks Wayne. The jog wheel came back after two restarts.

I talked to Humminbird support, they said I'd have to install the basemaps separately. I had that card ready to go, but it wasn't kicking off an install on insert. They showed me how to force a manual install. I hung up with them about 45 min ago and it's still only at 18%. Getting nervous, but keeping fingers crossed.
    It's a big file and does take some time to load. If I remember correctly it may take 30 to 45 minutes
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    It hung at 18% for hours. I eventually pulled the plug. I did some searching and I've found others with this identical issue...freezing at 18% exactly :-(

The only fix if I want the basemaps, according to those threads, seems to be sending it in. BOO.

8. Member
    You do know those basemaps are not the latest and greatest. A lakemaster HD map is way better. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

9. Member
    Yeah bob. I know, and the cards cost $125 to 150 each, and I need 3 cards to cover the areas I fish. I would like to assess some lakes on the base map before blowing $375 to $450.

It'd be nice if their units could be updated without these kinds of failures that require them being sent in.

10. Member
    Hi if your Basemap loading screen is stuck at 18% you will need to have the unit software re flashed by HB.
    My Solix G1 became corrupt after the 3.5 install.
    I also lost GPS position, into that would come back.
    I hope this link to post works ok.
    My unit has been fine since its Vacation LOL

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1019488

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarthelt View Post
    Yeah bob. I know, and the cards cost $125 to 150 each, and I need 3 cards to cover the areas I fish. I would like to assess some lakes on the base map before blowing $375 to $450.

It'd be nice if their units could be updated without these kinds of failures that require them being sent in.
    $29 to $40 depending on the extra overlays for Chart select lakes. Depends how many different places you go to but another option for HD lakes. Big waters are still Navionics forte. Not sure how Garmin will affect that. Navionics web app is a great reference tool also. Bob

12. Member
    Thanks Andy_C. What was the turnaround time with Humminbird?

13. Member
    Sorry: one more question....do they send it back with the latest software on it, or send it in a state where you still have to do the upgrades?

14. Member
    Fun update to his saga. Yes, I have to send it in, but they informed me that Humminbird warranties are non-transferable and there's a $115 charge to do the fix. :-|

I just bought this boat after a decade of boats with Lowrance products. This is my first ownership experience with humminbird, and I was honestly excited to get to know them. But I can't say my ownership experience has been positive thus far.

15. Member
    I guess I never thought about trading boats often. I have never replaced a unit that was less 5 years old or a boat less than 20 years old! The reason I am with humminbird is after 20 years of Lowrance is, I had a 3 year old unit that they would not fix for any amount of money. They did offer me a 10% discount on a new one though. 12 years with HB now. Not perfect but they will keep fixing them for a long time after the warranty is over. I guess we all have to understand how others value things. Given half a chance I am guessing you will be satisfied with your HB change. Good luck Bob

16. Member
    My unit turn around was almost three weeks. Round trip from the Uk.
    The others on that thread based in the USA had their units back after 2-3 days.
    The only downside to my repair was it arrived back on 3.5.
    I had before sending it updated to the 3.64 to see if it would clear the basemap failed install.
    My UK dealer confirmed this with HB and they said it was so I didn't loose my Data? That was BS as it came back with zero hours
    on a 500 hour unit, and all 450 screen shots wiped off.

Glad when I updated it back to 3.64 there was a good supply of toilet paper as my Heart was beating out my chest, when I inserted the latest software into the unit. But the software loaded perfectly and I have since loaded all waypoints and routes perfectly.

I would make your HB contact aware that you know many others have had this problem so hopefully they will do it FOC like ours.

Stay Safe

Andy