Anyone made a switch and come back

Wondering if any of you have switched to other boat brands and come back? Been thinking pretty hard about Phoenix lately.

Never had a boat other than Ranger. Currently in 2016 Z520c. Next boat will be my last new boat.

Any insight appreciated.

2. Member
    I made the switch to aluminum for a few years but then came back last fall. I had a G3 - liked it - just a couple of small things, but when I came back, I looked at various brands and decided on a Ranger again. I knew what I was getting for the money and there was minimal difference in price in everything I was looking at. Everyone is different, and i was not married to Ranger, but glad I went with it.

Almost...was HELL BENT on getting into a BassCat, was all in.
    Went down to Mare marine to take a look thinking I was going to make a deal.
    They had a BassCat, Phoenix and Ranger all next to each other.
    Here is my thoughts.....Price Range was $65K-$71K
    Love BassCat as a company and what they stand for, I just dislike the boats.
    Phoenix as a company is right up there with BassCat.
    Looked at the BassCat Cougar 20' with 250...boat was too narrow for my liking, storage didn't appease me and seats were very uncomfortable.
    Looked at the Phoenix 919 with 225.....Boat was nice and wide, storage layout was ok. Not a big fan of the seats and console looked cheap. Trailer wasn't even close to the Cat or Ranger.
    Then I sat in a 520L with 250.....Honestly there really was NO caparison to the comfort and quality of the Ranger. From the trailer to seats to carpet to accessories.

I really became a no brainer at that point.
    I wound up going with a 518L and getting pretty much every option and big graphs.
    Last edited by nojretlas; 04-06-2020 at 01:46 PM.
    Boatless

4. Member
    I've only had Ranger, but have been in Phoenix. IMO, fishes closest to a Ranger(flat). I'm not taking any chances though

5. Member
    Yes....bought a Legend sold it...bought a BassCat sold it....bought a Falcon sold it. I just bought a new 520L and its the best boat so far. BassCat and Falcon are great companies that make great boats. But...theres just something about a Ranger that sets it apart.

6. Member
    Had two Rangers in the past(liked them both), bought a Triton and wished it would have sank, then ordered a Ranger but cancelled it to buy a BassCat. I like Ranger but I like what BassCat stands for as a company. I am happy I didn't go with a Ranger over what I bought but at the same time I would have been happy with a Ranger

7. Member
    Over the last 35 years, I have had seven Rangers and one Phoenix. The Phoenix 920 was an excellent boat but it does not fish as well as a Ranger. Currently in a Z520c and love the wide front deck and fishability. Phoenix rough water ride and seats were better than the Ranger.

The Marine Master trailer with shocks under the Phoenix is the smoothest riding trailer I have ever owned.

8. Member
    I started with Skeeter and loved it . Then got a better team deal with Charger and the guys there was great but to hard to re-sell in the market I was in. I then moved to Ranger and haven't looked back. IMO Ranger holds it's value better then all boats and gives you the best of the best in most cases . Sure you will find some things other boat Companies have the jump on Ranger in but they are few and far between.

9. Member
    For the last year i have been looking at all the other top brands ( was hoping to save money ) but all the other top runners were close and even higher in price but there was always something about them that was cheap and something i just didn’t like in the lay out. So I went back with a new Ranger Z521L Plus i have had great service from Ranger in the pass. They stood behind any problems I ever had with my last boat that means the world to me. Stay with a Ranger.

Every time I get away from Ranger or Skeeter I end up disappointed and return. Those 2 brabds just fit me.

Been team fishing a few events out of a 920xp...nice boat..rides well..some neat features..net storage, removable console. Fast compared to Ranger.
    I prefer my boat trolling motor down.

12. Member
    Ranger 391v/ 200 Johnson Venom to Skeeter ZX190/ 175 HPDI, back to Ranger 518vx/200 Opti, to Xpress X19/ 200 HPDI, back to Ranger Z520/ Evinrude 250HO etec.

Other than bigger .... I've kinda come back full circle. LOL

Ditto above comments of others.
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

13. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    I’ve owned a new Skeeter, new BassCat, and several old Rangers. I prefer the Rangers.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Retired and built a new house at LOZ. Lower garage (man cave) fits 2 bass boats. Have lots of company from out of town/state. Have had several different rigs, Skeeters, Bass Cats... Had a 2018 521L. It's easy to make a comparison when others are sitting beside the 521L in the garage. Had a lot of rigs sitting beside the Ranger; Caymus, Charger, Triton, Phoenix, Bass Cat, Nitro... Ranger and Bass Cat have the best trailers, end of discussion. Each manufacturer has nifty features that look cool. Compared to the seats in the 521L, they all have seats like a go cart! Main topic was "their boat was faster"! Was ready to order a new rig last fall? Gave it quite a bit of thought, recapping different features of other boats. Seemed most manufacturers compromise comfort for speed. I fish, I want stability when the trolling motor is down. I did order a new rig lasts fall. A new 2020 521L with a Mercury 300 strapped on the back sits in my garage. Fit and finish are excellent, seats are comfortable as hell. The lead sled woke up with a 300 on back. I just wish Ranger would put quality tires on their trailer!

15. Captain Paul
    Yes. I started with a Stratos but it was poorly made. Went to a Ranger R93, then a few Z21's then a Z22, then a Bass Cat. Finally woke up and realized what you all seem to have figured out. When it comes right down to it, the Ranger is where I want to be. I have the flagship Z22 again. I plan on a Viking funeral in this thing.
    RangerBasser
    Captain Paul, USCG Captain
    Merchant Marine XO

Ranger Z22 Comanche
    Mercury 300XS Racing

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Retired and built a new house at LOZ. Lower garage (man cave) fits 2 bass boats. Have lots of company from out of town/state. Have had several different rigs, Skeeters, Bass Cats... Had a 2018 521L. It's easy to make a comparison when others are sitting beside the 521L in the garage. Had a lot of rigs sitting beside the Ranger; Caymus, Charger, Triton, Phoenix, Bass Cat, Nitro... Ranger and Bass Cat have the best trailers, end of discussion. Each manufacturer has nifty features that look cool. Compared to the seats in the 521L, they all have seats like a go cart! Main topic was "their boat was faster"! Was ready to order a new rig last fall? Gave it quite a bit of thought, recapping different features of other boats. Seemed most manufacturers compromise comfort for speed. I fish, I want stability when the trolling motor is down. I did order a new rig lasts fall. A new 2020 521L with a Mercury 300 strapped on the back sits in my garage. Fit and finish are excellent, seats are comfortable as hell. The lead sled woke up with a 300 on back. I just wish Ranger would put quality tires on their trailer!
    Do you need a new best friend?Sounds like you have quite the setup. Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1212 View Post
    Do you need a new best friend?Sounds like you have quite the setup. Congrats
    If you got time off work and want to fish LOZ shoot me a message.