needing to add some electrical outlets to the outside

when we bought our house it only had 1 outlet on the outside of the house on the front of the house pretty much right in the middle of the house.
    we have a pretty large concrete back patio but it doesn't have a single outlet on the back of the house.
    in the front I would like to add one close to the boat for charging the battries.

my plan is to come from the inside of the house and just piggy back off one of the outlets on the inside. Found where they have the "old work" type boxes and will get GFI outlets and water proof covers.
    my question is on wire. is 12/2 fine for wire?
    I'm not an electrician but I know many on here probably are or know more than me with this. I would think that 12/2 would be fine but want to ask first.

2. Member
    Luke, when I rewired our current house I ran 12/2 to all the outlets (inside & out).
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

3. Member
    12-2wg is fine,just a note 12 is good for 20 amps,although you may have 15 amp breakers because they used 14-2wg,so you wouldn’t want to upsize breaker in this case.Prolly wouldn’t want to tap into a kitchen circuit either.

4. Member
    All depends of what is on the existing receptacle and the entire circuit. Is existing 14 ga, if so you dont want to go new with 12ga. What is code for your area. Ours is 5 receptacles from the panel.. With your home insurance, Id get sparkey in there and let him advise.

5. Member
    Bigger is definitely better/safer, run 12/2 then you're good if it's a 15a circuit or 20a