Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Have you ever lost a rod and reel while fishing? I have...

A brand new, NOT EVEV THE FIRST CAST ON OT, Shimano Curado reel mounted on a Ducket rod. I bought the rod and reel on Thursday on my way home from work, on Saturday I was fishing a tournament after a 25 minute run and then fishing for an hour at my first stop I decided to move to my second spot. Long story short, forgot to strap my rod down and my new rod and reel tumbled over the edge of the deck and into the lake. It slowly sank like the Titanic as I attempted to turn around and idle up to it. I tried to get it with a crankbait but was not successful. I almost cried! Almost $400 down the drain!

2. Member
    Yes I have. I went to cast and when I came forward the rod slipped out of my hand and flying through the air and into the water. Luckily mine wasn’t a 400 dollar combo more like 30 but still. That old zebco was awesome and I sure do miss it time to time.

3. Member
    I have. I was just sitting the rod down on the deck to grab another real quick. Well I dropped it right into the lake, never even touched the boat. That thing sank like a rock.

4. Member
    I was fishing the cape fear river got hung up in a tree lap, wasn't paying attention to where the rod and reel were (laying on deck to close to gunnel) pulling line with my hands when the line finally broke the tension release carried the combo over the side. Marked a way point and went on fishing. Took one of those black rubber bungies, put both s hooks on the same end spread apart at about a 45 degree angle and tied 20' of nylon string to it. Next day me and my buddy go back, Bob is already casting, I throw my bungie rig just past where I think the combo should be pull it up and to our amazement the tip of the rod breaks the surface. Bob immediately says no way I'm telling anybody this story,I don't want to be called a liar! Good clean and lube job ready to go again.
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

5. Member
    Watching it sink would be painful! I haven't lost one yet. I've broken a few but never lost one. Sunglasses on the other hand, that's a different story. I've seen a couple of those sink.

6. Member
    i knocked one off the deck during a trny, almost went in the 50deg water trying to grab it. I backed off the spot where it went down, tossed a big spoon out and manged to snag it off the bottom.

7. Member
    yep.. new revo stx/ veritas combo. Lifted the troll motor and the rod was laying on top the strap. Combo went in and i just watched it sink. Once I realized i had to do something I hit a way point. Luckily only in 4ft of water and jumped in and made a zigzag pattern with my feet and was able to find it.

Was on the French Broad river and had caught a nice smallmouth when I went to lift it into the boat it started flopping and came of the hook. It proceeded it land directly on the handle of 2 rods and flipped them over the side of the boat. One was my most expensive setup and they other was my cheapest one. I managed to save the most expensive one but the cheap one sunk. The current was really strong that day and I tried dragging everything I could think of along the bottom but could never snag it.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

9. Member
    Several years ago, we were at Carters Lake (deep and clear in NW Georgia), it was a wet, cold January day. I set the hook on what I thought was a fish, it slipped out of my cold, wet hands and saw it disappear into the depths. Water temps were in the high 40's - low 50's, so no way was I going to risk trying to catch it on the way down. First "good" rod and reel I had ever owned. Shimano reel and All Star rod.

10. Member
    Three overboard at different times. Luckily I was in shallow water each time and dragging a crank bait I hooked all three. Yes it's a sickening feeling but what a relief to get them back.

11. Member
    Speared a wave on Kentucky lake, broke a rod strap and lost 3 combos
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

12. Member
    I have been fishing for 35+ years and it never happened until this year. Back-2-back trips. I luckily was able to “drag” one of the off bottom

Haven’t lost any but I have snagged and retrieved about 6 combos over the years. Most are junk from being in the water so long but I do have and use a nice spincast combo from KY lake. That was a fresh overboard catch
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

Yup. Kistler lta and a revo
    ...Greg

15. Member
    Didn't tie down a St. Croix Legend/Curado combo. Flew past my head and 30' down in Lake Erie.
    2005 Z21 Comanche Yamaha VMax 250HPDI

16. Member
    I have lost a couple overboard in my time on the water. Caught one with a deep diving crank bait, and another with an old school fish stringer. The kind with the metal clips works good, just open all the hooks and bend them open a little bit and go fishing for your combo. I add some weight to the stringer and cast it out on a big rod and reel with heavy braid.

17. Dogfish_Jones
    A good half dozen through the years. At time I put way more rods on my deck than the gunnel can handles.

18. Member
    Lost a St Croix Legend Tournament Fishing on Holloween weekend one year. Was fishing out of a jon boat and I made a cast with a crankbait, the trebles grabbed onto the legend and flung it overboard. We watched it sink down to the bottom and no way was I jumping in because it was snowing and water temps are in the 40s.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

19. Member
    So we were coming into the marina on a 65 foot yacht. We are just right of the center of the channel. On our right is a group fishing from the bank. Well we couldn’t move over anymore then we were. There was this fool jumping up an down pointing in the water. Looking in the water there was a rod handle bouncing up and down. Someone grabbed a gaff and we snagged the rod. Oh and the catfish on the line came with it. Laughs from shore and the boat. We handed back the rod at the dock. No they didn’t want the catfish too small.
    currently boatless

20. Member
    In a tournament on a school of fish, caught a small one on C-rig lizard. Ripped the lizard out of fishes mouth and threw fish back, hook was still in fishes mouth, fish and Curado combo all went into lake. Never got it back.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast