Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    On Toledo Bend in my Skeeter SX185 Johnson 150......fishing flats on a questionable day but the bass are biting a rattletrap really well. Four feet of water and the wind comes up, Shhhht man. the bottom of the boat just hit the bottom of the lake. Up comes the trolling motor and stowed fast as I can. Walk back down to the console and on my way saw my favorite Shimano Bantam on the Berkley Rod went over the gunnel of the boat. Ok, I just said hell with it and left the flat for the dock. I had a buoy marker where I was fishing and I could return the next day to find it. Tried a bunch, never did.

2. Member
    I’m a scuba diver. I have gotten 4. Just found one (oiled it up and used it several years). Recovered one of my own that fell out of a kayak, recovered one for my uncle / fishing partner, I was hired about 15 years ago to recover a lost rod/reel. At the time I wasn’t aware of top end equipment ( Zebco 33 was my top end stuff at the time) I thought the guy was crazy to pay me to look for a rod and reel. It was cold water and 0 visibility, took me about 45 min. To find it. When I surfaced with it he jumped up and down hooped and hollered. He then said it was a 600$ rig.

3. Member
    I had a Quantum rod and an Abu back in the mid to late 90’s. I threw that thing in the water 4 times. Luckily, was able to retrieve every time. I loved the way it fished but I just couldn’t hold on to it. It finally broke after it got caught between a tree and the boat. I was actually relieved after it happened.

4. Banned
    IMG_0746.GIF

Click on image

Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    IMG_0746.GIF

Click on image
    I did that once. I dove for the rod and got it as we both hit the water. When I surfaced, I handed my rod to my partner and he landed the 4 pounder and then helped me back in the boat.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Years ago my wife bumped my daughters Barbie rod and reel combo over the side. 20 years later and my daughter always brings it up to my wife and whines about it. All in good fun.
    I have not yet, but guessing there are two categories : those who have, and those who will.
    dvl2700

7. Member
    My tournament partner had the same rod & reel combo ripped out of his hands 2 years in a row & believe it or not i was quick enough to run to the front & lay down with my flipping stick & run it straight out from the side of the boat & lift the tip of it with my rod so he could get it. Lucky is an understatement.

8. Member
    I decided years ago that i was going back to thumb bars instead of the push button push button so i bought a new combo around 200 bucks that day. Went to Cumberland that night with 2 buddys & i couldn't wait to make the first cast with that new combo & a half ounce jig in a big tree just knew would have fish on it. I reach over & pushed the button, drew back & slung that new combo just bought that day straight out & slowly watched it sink before we could get to it. It took a few seconds for me to remember that i had went back to thumb bars that day so i don't have a clue what that button i thought i had pushed was. Yep i was pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by dvl2700 View Post
    Years ago my wife bumped my daughters Barbie rod and reel combo over the side. 20 years later and my daughter always brings it up to my wife and whines about it. All in good fun.
    I have not yet, but guessing there are two categories : those who have, and those who will.
    dvl2700
    You need to buy her a new Barbie rod and reel for Christmas one year. You can't let the chance to buy her another one go. It will get a good laugh from her.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    You need to buy her a new Barbie rod and reel for Christmas one year. You can't let the chance to buy her another one go. It will get a good laugh from her.
    If she’s anything like my daughter she will say that you cannot replace the original because it had sentimental value and it was her “lucky rod”.

Set the hook on what turned out to be a stump on Santee years ago. Was using one of those pistol grip rods. Left my hands like it was shot out of a cannon!
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

12. Member
    I’ve been lucky to never have lost a rod in 40 years of fishing! Never have stepped on one and broke it. Sometimes I’ve had 11 rods on deck of a 17 foot tracker. Now that I have a bigger boat I’ll probably join the club Lol

13. Member
    After carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, I've thrown more than one rod over due to loss of grip. I've been using Luna Sea Cush it rod floats for the past few years. They take a little getting used to but, I don't even notice them now.

14. Member
    Lost one for a while years ago. I was retrieving a buddies bait from an overhanging tree and one of the branches swept my rod off the deck. Water was only about 3 feet deep, but 50 degrees. We spent 5 minutes dredging with crankbaits reeled up tight to the tip of our two poles. We finally gave up and moved on down the bank. After we had gone about 20 yards my buddy set the hook and brought up some "old" line. When he finally got to the end of it, it was my rod/reel. Thumb bar released when it fell in? Fish then bit the worm and swam 20 yards? No matter I was glad to have it back.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234