Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

rod locker spring lift pressure/strength?

Need the help of the Champ hive mind for a sec.

My 191 has 20lb gas spring lifts on the rod lockers. They don't do much assisting anymore. I have no way of knowing if they are original and just worn out, or if they've been replaced and and were replaced with something too weak.

Anyone know what the correct assist strength/pound rating should be? Thanks.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

BassCat lists 30, 40, and 70 pound shocks in varying lengths for $18.00 each. Might contact them (if they’re open). I would think the 30 or 40 would work for your application, and could be purchased at an automotive store if BCB isn’t available.
    https://www.basscatstore.com/lidshocks.aspx
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

3. Banned
    My 183 has 30 lb. gas shocks on the rod lockers if that helps. Tons of them for sale on E Bay.

https://www.ebay.com/str/strut-your-...p2047675.l2563

4. Member
    Yeah, that is helpful fellas. I wondered if 20lb isn't enough just given the weight of them, especially after I added padding with the new carpet, and where the lift mounts to the lid. Thanks!

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    20# I know was used throughout the 90s. SL-36 was the part #, extended length 17 1/4" and collapsed 10 1/4". My bet is that it's just time for new ones.

6. Member
    Thanks Reg. Yup, it's SL-36-20, so maybe they are original. Your dimensions are right on too. The padding doesn't weigh that much but it is something extra, think 30# would be too much?

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Probably not, the lids on the boats I've had fit tight enough to keep them from trying to open on their own running down the lake. If anything, would just make them a little harder to close that first few inches. I had to replace the ones on the 201 I had. Got to where the wind could blow them shut.

8. Member
    Ha, yeah, I think if you just breathe on mine they go shut. Upon opening them, I am doing more work than the lift is, as if the lift is fighting me!

On installing the lifts, is it better to have the cylinder body up and the shaft end down or does it not matter?

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I doubt it matters. On my 210 the rear hatch has the body attached to the lid. I only know this cause I've had that lid off a couple of times in the last month

I just replaced my center lid strut with a 35 lb, works great

Good info here... i want to change out all of mine on my 202... especially the 1 for the back door that opens up to the gas tank and batteries

12. Member
    I replaced my middle front lid with 1-30lb on my 196. its plenty.

Was it 1 of the SL-36 models in 30lb??

14. Member
    I just replaced the middle lid on my 201 with a SL-36-20# and it is more than adequate.

15. Banned
    Pretty sure you put the gas cylinder to the top and the sliding shaft facing down (if I remember correctly). It makes a difference somehow, can’t remember exactly; but it was posted here. The same way the ghost TM has the cylinder mounted.

Just installed 2 gas shocks today, 1 on large center storage/ fishing gear lid AND the large back lid that covers the gas tank, batteries and oil tank!!! So glad i can now add fuel or change a lure without using my head as a "holdup prop"

17. Member
    After reading through the other thread about contemplating putting a flashed 350 SHO on a 202, this thread all of a sudden seems like toddler play! Ha.

I ended up getting 3 of the SL-36-30# units. This unit works great for the rod lockers on my 191. I didn't realize or forgot, but the current cylinder on my center compartment had been replaced at some point with an automotive unit, it has the little electrical clips on it for wiring something like an underhood light or a defroster on a rear hatch. Anyway, turns out it's just a tad longer, 18" rather than 17.1" like the SL36 units. And having tried the SL36 on it, I prefer the tad longer cylinder, it holds the lid open a couple of inches more at the top and it's just easier to get around in that center compartment. Also, maybe because the distance from the connection to the top edge of the lid is greater with the center compartment vs a rod locker, the same SL36-30# doesn't hold it as solidly open as it does on the rod locker hatches. So in my situation, I think an 18" cylinder and maybe 35# or even 40# pressure could be more ideal on the center locker, if you really wanted to tweak things. And that's as far as I've gotten with it here.

18. Banned
    Has anyone tried to order these from Autozone? Im running up there today to pick up some spark plugs and thought I would look. They have 215 pages on their website which requires me to click on each one to see what length and poundage they are.
    No way to filter it on their page.
    Thanks
    Tom

19. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Why sift through 215 pages on the AutoZone web site? I got my replacements for my 201 from Back toBoating

https://www.backtoboating.com/collec...36-gas-springs

20. Banned
    Thanks Reggie. Ive been hiding out from this corona stuff and am 2 1/2 hrs from home. I did a curb side pick up with the local autozone for spark plugs for the boat today. That’s why I asked. I don’t want to send shocks to my house because I don’t know when I’ll be home. My daughter works at a hospital that has several cases of this virus so I had to move out for a bit. Luckily I have my Champ to keep me sane.
    I’ll just order some and get them whenever I can.
    Thank you, sir!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast