Yamaha 225 SHO water stream (peeing) questions

Last fall I repowered my boat with a rebuilt Yamaha 225 SHO from HydroTec. The motor is a beast and I'm really happy with it, however, I've just noticed that when I'm on plane the water stream is either very slight or non-existent. When it is idling, it is pretty strong. I do not have a water pressure gauge, but I do have the NMEA hooked up to my Humminbird for temp. On short runs, I'm seeing the temp climb to 142. Is this normal? I haven't made a long run yet and our water temps are in the high 40's right now. TIA.

Normal with the SHO..the stream is not as strong as many would expect. You should always have water coming out, so you should never have "non-existent" though. Weak, that's the word many describe. Unless you've ran the lower unit into sand or muck and clogged the water pickup, I would say yours is probably functioning just fine. I have heard that bad thermostats can cause this issue, but if you're not throwing alarms, I would assume all is well. Video would help if you can do it safely :)

3. Member
    DanielR, thanks for the feedback. I've had an alarm go off twice, both very short runs. If I sitdown and shut the engine off and restart, the alarm stops and doesn't come back on again. At speed, the stream is droplets coming out, very, very weak.....the stream is very strong at idle.

If you've had alarms, I would certainly think that a visit to the dealership to read those would be highly suggested. Too hard to diagnose on a forum, but alarms aren't to be ignored. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

5. Member
    As an update, I found the problem. I do not have a water pressure gauge on my boat but there is a hose from the brass water pressure port on the motor that goes into the hull. The hose was cut and capped and it was leaking. I tied a few more knots in the hose and zip tied it tight, now I'm getting a slight stream when on plane.