Thread: Why Dobyns?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why Dobyns?

I have too much time on my hands right now so I'm researching for my next rod purchase. I see a lot of positive comments about Dobyns here, but they are almost unheard of in my area and there is nowhere to even look at them. They are expensive so I would like to know what makes them so great? I'm looking primarily at the Champion and Champion Extreme Series. What type of blanks do they use - how are the other components, and how well are they built compared to St. Croix, Loomis, etc.?

2. Member
    If not high end G Loomis there are tons of recomendations for ALX. Since the Falcon Cara is not available now and won't be US made when it comes back I've been on a Loomis kick but even though I have no experience look into the ALX plus i believe they are a board sponsor.

3. Banned
    I’m not sure why Dobyns get the praises they do. I’m sure it’s a quality built rod, but everyone I’ve picked felt terrible to me. Maybe it’s the few different models I picked up. Not sure.

4. Member
    I'm posting again as I have all Falcon Caras in my boat but in the last year I've bought two Loomis NRX casting, one GLX casting, one NRX spinning, and this week ordered another GLX casting and one more NRX spinning. Looking back I should have really considered ALX because of all the praise I hear on this site but I was blinded by the light of G Loomis. I will definitely buy a ALX next when time comes.

I've had a few Dobyns, they are nice rods but IMO Gloomis and St-Croix make a nicer rod, meaning a more sensitive, lighter, better graphite rod.

6. Member
    I used to run a ton of dobyns in my rotation back in the day with many different model lines. I think at one point all my cranking rods were dobyns rods, and i loved the 734 champion for a do everything rod. At the time i also loved the hp rods as the 744, and 745 became my main bottom contact rods. Then i made the mistake and bought an NRX... Zbone, daiwa ags, and so on. In dobyns defense i have not tried an xtasy rod and have heard great things about them. I will say where dobyns rods got their good reputation was the balance of the rods. They were never really a light rod but you had these longer rods that balanced like other companies 6'6 rods and that just made the rod feel better in hand. Dobyns also had an early all around line up when other manufactures did not offer the model variances that dobyns had such as longer length rods, great crankbait rod selection, and swimbait rods that could do baits over the 6 oz range. Presently today things have changed and the rod market is super competitive now with many companies putting out great offerings. If i had get a rod for bottom contact i would rather get the new poision adrena than a dobyns hp. If i was in the mid price rod market i would look at ALX rods over the champion, so they for sure have lost their luster in my hands somewhat compared to similar priced rods. Dobyns will still get high remarks in the cranking department as they have a great line up of crankbait rods for sure. Im not sure what dobyns builds their blanks on. They are built in Korea if im not mistaken when i bought all of mine 7 years ago. They used o use Kigan guides and now have went to Fuji guides on the champion and hp series.

As far as build quality goes they are not bad you will get the normal production rod quality in my opinion nothing jdm super exoctic stuff just regular wraps which are good for the most part. I hate to say it even though i have a bunch of NRX rods most of my dobyns guide wraps were more clean and well put together. St croix has a remarkable build quality but there are some flaws or should i say things people don't like to much. St croix will not tuck the threads on many of their wraps and being translucent you can see this under the epoxy especially on the legend glass rods and even my legend elites are like that. So at the end of the day even though they are built overseas the quality is pretty good in my mind.

I don't know what rod you are looking for but if you are unable to handle one i would shoot and order the 734 champion that will give you a gauge of the line ups taper and power, and if you don't like it you can sell it quick being a popular model. I would also call Dobyns as He or his son usually picks the phone up and they will be able to tell you anything you want to know.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    I’m not sure why Dobyns get the praises they do. I’m sure it’s a quality built rod, but everyone I’ve picked felt terrible to me. Maybe it’s the few different models I picked up. Not sure.
    that’s how I feel too. Every Dobyns I’ve held had a dead or dampening feel to me and felt it was as sensitive as a $20 Walmart rod. They look nice And are well balanced but that about it. St Croix might be a little tip heavy but they are more sensitive, lighter, and have better build quality
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Member
    I agree and disagree with comments. I have several dobyns savvy, sierra, champion lines. The sierra 733c is a GREAT rod just ordered my 2nd. The 744c "jig special" and 763s are BOTH incredible rods. The 763 has been an interesting rod for me...much more stout than I had anticipated...but the sensitivity, balance and feel are TOP notch...I just feel this rod should have been a 793 with a little softer tip from the last 3" allowing for longer casts. The 763 I just cannot get the distance casting certain weight tubes. But I guess when I get my 792s that will solve that issue. I will disagree with the comments that the blanks feel dead in hand...It is a reminder that everyone's perspective is different...sensitive...what do you do for a living? some peoples jobs may contribute to the NEED to have the MOST sensitive rods as to where others can get the same sensitivity from a less expensive option. Keep perspective in mind.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

9. Member
    I fish mostly dobyns rods with a couple st croixs. Champs are my work horse rods, HP for bottom baits and one Xtasy for t rigs. I have two st croix extremes i use for pitching as well. I used to fish all glx and Imx loomis rods. i had an NRX for one year and sold it. HP, Legend Extreme and NRX all feel the same to me sensitivity wise. the Xtasy is above all of them "to me". The champ series is sensitive enough for chatterbaits, swim jigs, spinner baits and such. compared to the st croix avid series and feel the same in hand.

the reason i like dobyns is their options for length and actions the offer. you can do anything with them and get pretty specific for what you want.

hope that helps

They balance better than any other brands I've tried. That's a big factor for me with bottom contact rods or any that get used with a tip up application. IMO I would not go below the Extreme HP series for any bottom contact or any technique where sensitivity is paramount. The Champions are the workhorses for a lot of other techniques (moving baits) and do a lot of things well. I've got my hands on a 723 and 724 Xtasy and they are just as sensitive a 873 Nrx I sold a couple years ago. Super crisp and nice fit and finish. Along with they balance MUCH better. When you see some places throw out some good discounts(seems to happen somewhat frequently) on them I'd jump on it.
    I still have a few megabass that are special along with a few Kistlers but the larger majority of my gear has become more Dobyns.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

I’ve never been impressed with any Dobyns rod I’ve picked up. Feel heavy and dead to me. Much better rods out there for less money.

I've tried Dobyns rods twice in the last few years (champion XP's). The cranking rods are spot on, but the rest just felt dead to me. I always heard they balanced out really good. However when I held them side by side with the same reel and a comparable rod from other manufacturers, I couldn't tell a difference.
    USMC Vet!

There champion frog rods are really nice and versatile

14. Member
    Rods feel different in everyone's hands and certain models just have that "it" factor. I personally like my Dobyns rods over others I have fished but have not fished an NRX, Daiwa or Megabass high end. I was never impressed with Falcon (all the way up to the Expert series) and the Kistler Helium 2's were nice but not that exciting. For Dobyns I use the Champion's for moving and the DX/HP for bottom contact. I admit that certain models folks love, I don't (744 for example) although the 743, 745 and 784 are great to me.

15. Member
    Dobyn’s does a good job of having a very full lineup in anyone’s price point which is why they’re so popular. You can pick length and power and decide how much you want to spend. I’ve only bought Champion and Extreme lines but have had quite a few models with good success. Some haven’t done it for me and I’ve sold them, some I wouldn’t sell for any of my high end loomis or Daiwa rods.
    I love the cranking rods 705CB, 765CB, 805CB... they do exactly what they are designed for well and at a good price/quality. The 744 Full Handle”jig rod special” is my favorite for swim jigs. 795 Extreme for Flippin.Customer service, warranty, and good sales.

Didn’t care for the 733 Champ or 765 Champ. The 733 they gave me a refund and the 765 I have up for sale.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

16. Member
    A buddy of mine just picked up a ALX Toadface it’s a awesome rod and I’m definitely picking up a ALX for my next rod. I have mostly Daiwa Tatula and tatula elite rod’s now one Dobyns but is my swimbait rod do can’t compare it to my others.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

I bought a 735C Champion model and was so disappointed in the balance and the sensitivity. This was supposed to be like the Holy Grail of Dobyn's rods. I have had many rods that were much cheaper and way better. I have also fished several extreme models and have not found them to be that great for the price range.

I do own a couple of ALX rods (Zolo) and I would say they are a step up in balance and finish but close on sensitivity. A better rod than the Champion models.

I have broken 4 Dobyns Champion Extremes, and my dad just broke his Sierra series. Love the feel, sensitivity, and balance of their rods, but they just don’t hold up. Have never had this problem with other brands.

19. Member
    Flippin81,

Similar experience here. I moved on.
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

Here are some of the high points I like about Dobyns:
    1. Attention to balance, from Fury to the higher end rods, rods designed and fished very balanced when you put a reel on them, which makes them fish lighter than they are.
    2. Wide range of rods for all applications and they don't re-design entire series from year to year, so if you find a Champion model you like, if you broke it or lost it, you can replace it and expect the same action. I remember loving a Cumara rod one year and then the next year the same model was completely different.
    3. Great customer service, nobody's rods are perfect, what matters is whether they stand behind them.
    4. Softer tips then most rods. I think this is key for keeping fish buttoned and landing more fish.

Everyone's preference is different for a rod but I would give a Dobyns a try, chances are you won't be pissed!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast