Thread: Why Dobyns?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HellaBass View Post
    Here are some of the high points I like about Dobyns:
    1. Attention to balance, from Fury to the higher end rods, rods designed and fished very balanced when you put a reel on them, which makes them fish lighter than they are.
    2. Wide range of rods for all applications and they don't re-design entire series from year to year, so if you find a Champion model you like, if you broke it or lost it, you can replace it and expect the same action. I remember loving a Cumara rod one year and then the next year the same model was completely different.
    3. Great customer service, nobody's rods are perfect, what matters is whether they stand behind them.
    4. Softer tips then most rods. I think this is key for keeping fish buttoned and landing more fish.

Everyone's preference is different for a rod but I would give a Dobyns a try, chances are you won't be pissed!
    Hella really just nailed it in a nutshell. The one thing you have to be careful of on forums when asking for opinions on rods is that there are many "fanboys" for a given rod manufacturer. Loomis is one of those companies that people fawn over like their sticks are simply superior to everyone other stick made, to the point that it is hard to get the question you asked answered. So the question was, why Dobyns and I think Hella did a great job answering the question and was spot on.

I have extensive experience with all the major brands, St Croix (Elites, Avid X & Legend), G Loomis (IMX, GLX & NRX), Shimano (Zodias & Exprides), Daiwa (Tatulas), Megabass (Destroyer & Orochi), Abu (Fantasista), Lew's (custom pro), Falcon (lowrider) and yes, Dobyns (Champion Extreme HP & Xtasy). And let me preface my experience is almost exclusively with spinning rods. I do a ton of clear water smallmouth fishing in the Northeast and my weapon of choice is a spinning rod. Everything from 7'6" medium heavy to 6'10" medium lights and everything in between. I currently own Dobyns Champion Extreme 742, 792, 743, 704 & 764. I also own Xtasy 722, 723 and soon 752.

What I like about the Dobyns line is the action of their rods, as they tend to have softer tips and more parabolic actions, which is really important for keeping fish pinned to the boat. The action of their rods also helps me bomb baits/lures a mile, something very important to me in the bodies of what I fish, as the further away from the boat you get your lure, the most fish you catch. I agree that there may be more sensitive rods on the market, but in my experience that increase in sensitivity comes at a steep price, unless you fish Shimano Exprides, which are as sensitive as I need and at an amazing price point. I don't understand comments on breaking rods. I fish a TON and I have NEVER broken a rod. Never, not once. And aside from breaking a tip due to accidental carelessness, I can't even imagine how one breaks a blank?? All of my Dobyns (and exprides) are as rugged, durable and dependable as you can get.

Oh, and one other thing, the Dobyns HP and Xtasy line are really good looking rods. I know that isn't supposed to matter, but their color schemes and graphics are really sharp! There are tons of great rods on the market and lots of choices that help fit your style of fishing and your budget. I like to experiment with rods, as I am always looking for the perfect rod, whatever that means, but for now I have landed on Dobyns Champion Extremes (moving baits), Dobyns Xtasy (finesse applications) and Shimano Exprides (bottom contact & feel applications).

Good luck and have fun with it. In the end, it is just fishing so enjoy the process. Tight lines!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I just picked up the new Xtasy 725C and that is an awesome rod - the ultimate 1/2 jig rod.
    Nice, didn't know they had a 725c in an xtasy. It's not listed on the site. I have the 723 and 724 and really like them. I'll give them a call next week. Another excuse to get some more tackle, hehe.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    Nice, didn't know they had a 725c in an xtasy. It's not listed on the site. I have the 723 and 724 and really like them. I'll give them a call next week. Another excuse to get some more tackle, hehe.

I'm sure I am not the only one - but I had been begging them to come out with a 5 power true 1/2oz jig rod in the Xtasy line - something that was closer to an all around 7' length to be handy around docks etc. The 724 is OK but its not a 5 power, and I feel like some of the Xtasy models are a 1/2 power weaker than the Extreme line anyways. I talked to Gary and others about it over the last year and he said it was coming soon. It was suppose to be out last fall but took longer than expected as they had to tweak some things. Amazing how every model needs some refinement. Anyways they just got them in last week. I've only fished mine twice now but its awesome, exactly what I wanted.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    Also if you are comparing rod brands, in general it's really helpful to others to compare equivalent models - as simple as this sounds. A $300 Champion Extreme wasn't as sensitive as an $600-700 NRX . . . really . The Champion Extreme is low to mid $300's which is priced between a Loomis IMX and GLX models for example. I would say it fits exactly in that slot as far as sensitivity, closer to the GLX IMO. I have found that true across the board, you basically get what you pay for. I have never felt the Extremes were in any way lacking in sensitivity but if you want $600 sensitivity step up to that price range and buy an Xtasy, NRX, Legend Extreme etc. Any of those three will blow your mind. The Xtasy's are one of my favorites and I prefer them over NRX, which is saying a lot.
    Totally agree. I have three Xtasy right now and growing....

5. Member
    Well, A lot of rod makers Salt the boards with pro staff members. I've never known Loomis to be one of them. I fished Dobyns for a few years and even won a few bucks with them and honestly, got a good discount as others do. They are what they are, a good rod among lots of good rods.
    I think the actions are really good and they offer a model for most anyone.

6. Member
    I'm in your area and I own several Dobyns rods and am quite happy with them.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

7. Member
    Another Dobyns fan here too.

8. Member
    have also a few Dobyns rods and very happy with them
    actually getting a few more next week

9. Banned
    Because they're the shit brah

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234