Quicksilver water pump kit

Mercury #0T986939, which is the correct or the difference in these two kits, both Quicksilver kits, 46 96148A8 and 46 96148Q8.

2. Member
    I believe they are the same. Just replaced my water pump with the quicksilver kit. Saw that there were THREE different kit numbers that are all the same kit. Actually the only difference in the numbers wasn't the numbers but actually the letter. Either or should work for you.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    I believe they are the same. Just replaced my water pump with the quicksilver kit. Saw that there were THREE different kit numbers that are all the same kit. Actually the only difference in the numbers wasn't the numbers but actually the letter. Either or should work for you.
    Wondering if it is the date when it was produced?

4. Banned
    As far as I know they're the same kits, just revised part numbers.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by red186 View Post
    Wondering if it is the date when it was produced?
    May very well be. I know mercury/quicksilver changed some of the original oem part numbers over the years for some reason.

6. Member
    I believe A8 = Mercury label, Q8 = Quicksilver label. Otherwise same pump.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    I believe A8 = Mercury label, Q8 = Quicksilver label. Otherwise same pump.
    Both says Quicksilver on the box

8. Member
    I know for for a fact when I was researching for the right part number, saw at one point somewhere online there were 3 interchangeable numbers and specified that all three were the same exact water pump kit. It actually had a disclaimer notifying the buyer about that.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    I know for for a fact when I was researching for the right part number, saw at one point somewhere online there were 3 interchangeable numbers and specified that all three were the same exact water pump kit. It actually had a disclaimer notifying the buyer about that.
    Yes. I might be mistaken, but I think they changed the part number when they changed the packaging.

10. Member
    Which one would be the latest number being made.

11. Member
    both could be manufactured same time just boxed different
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One is a BOXED kit, the other is a clear "hanging packaging". Basically identical, either can be used (I happen to keep the 96148A8 is stock).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor