Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is "Covid related" like "smoking related"?

Per google about 7,700 people pass away in America everyday. Most of the deaths we see reported with Covid say "Covid related". I know as a smoker ANYTHING that is wrong with me gets the "smoker" stamp applied.

I guess my question is are 8,700+ people passing now, or just how close to the average are we? My mom is in terrible health laying in a nursing home. I have no doubt if her or her husband gets this it'll be the end for them. Mom has lost all her will to live, Covid has nothing to do with her mindset. She just has zero quality of life. There is a positive patient in her home. They are isolating them there vs the hospital.

This has to be tough time for medical providers. My hats off to you all!

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Per google about 7,700 people pass away in America everyday. Most of the deaths we see reported with Covid say "Covid related". I know as a smoker ANYTHING that is wrong with me gets the "smoker" stamp applied.

I guess my question is are 8,700+ people passing now, or just how close to the average are we? My mom is in terrible health laying in a nursing home. I have no doubt if her or her husband gets this it'll be the end for them. Mom has lost all her will to live, Covid has nothing to do with her mindset. She just has zero quality of life. There is a positive patient in her home. They are isolating them there vs the hospital.

This has to be tough time for medical providers. My hats off to you all!
    I had the same question, are more people dying daily now or the same number, just by a different labeled cause.

3. Member
    While quality of life is very important, I cannot fathom dieing from not being able to breathe. It has to be an agonizing way to die. Maybe i'm wrong and death comes quickly but it sure sounds like there is a lot of terrible suffering.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    While quality of life is very important, I cannot fathom dieing from not being able to breathe. It has to be an agonizing way to die. Maybe i'm wrong and death comes quickly but it sure sounds like there is a lot of terrible suffering.
    My MIL passed from lung cancer 35 or so years ago. Don't ever want to see some one struggle to breathe again.

5. Banned

My grandpa died from colon cancer for 6 months in a nursing home. He went from running tractors, dozers & chainsaws to being bed ridden in a short time frame. Death is rarely quick and painless. There comes a point, where they are laying there suffering, that you pray they could just move on.

6. Member
    Apparently some higher ups are trying to lump any cause of death as related to the virus even if the underlying illness is the likely cause. This is to make available more federal funding I heard. Since if I say any more than this it would be considered political so I will leave it at that but you can go look at some pod-casts from Candice Owens for further information.

I would think now would be an excellent time for any smoker to quit. Your lungs aren't 100% to begin with and getting Covid-19 would most likely be more serious.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by #1MagicStick View Post
    Apparently some higher ups are trying to lump any cause of death as related to the virus even if the underlying illness is the likely cause. This is to make available more federal funding I heard. Since if I say any more than this it would be considered political so I will leave it at that but you can go look at some pod-casts from Candice Owens for further information.

It’s very plausible, making games out of it.

9. Member
    Covid related means the cause of death is listed as something else but the covid virus was part of the cause.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by #1MagicStick View Post
    Saw where 7 people at a Hospice house were tested positive and died and they reported it as C-19 death. If they were at a hospice house they were there because they were terminal for something else
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post
    My MIL passed from lung cancer 35 or so years ago. Don't ever want to see some one struggle to breathe again.
    A nasty case of bronchitis almost 10 years ago that had me convinced I wouldn’t make it through the night is what scared me away from smoking for good. Took me almost 3 weeks on a nebulizer to get me going again. Stopped cold turkey and never looked back.
    Ranting incoherently

12. Member
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Per the CDC over 2.8 million pass on each year in America.

Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
    a year was the number before Covid.

I have never seen anything as contagious, but...it would be nice if the numbers were reported in some sort of context.

Experts differentiate between "cause of death" and underlying cause of death." As I read it, if someone has lung cancer and gets COVID-19 and dies, the COVID-19 may be the "cause of death," as they would have lived longer had they not contracted the COVID-19. That disease was the "immediate spark" that caused their death. But, the lung cancer was the "underlying cause of death," as it was so debilitating to their health that it left them open to contracting another deadly disease, like the COVID-19 that killed them.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

2009 six of us went up to Canada to fish. The cabin was about 80 yards uphill from the lake, my brother had to keep stopping on the way up because he was running out of air. When we get back home he sees my pulmonologist to find out what is wrong. Pulmonary Fibrosis, every breath one takes the lungs crack and form a scar tissue, eventually the lungs can not expand or contract, and the person suffocates. 2010 he was put on oxygen, 2012 he was put on liquid oxygen, 2013 he died, he was sitting in the kitchen and told his wife he could not catch his breath. He put his head on her shoulder and that was the end.

Terrible way to end life.

15. Banned
    https://www.shamansmarket.com/produc...blend-original

https://www.mountainspiritherbals.co...shaman-s-smoke

Using these or like 'smoking blends' will get the user to release built-up phlegm. When I was a cop, I used "Shaman Smoking Blend" to get the phlegm out of my lungs. white box with red writing. It makes You cough...

Now I use the best expectorant..
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 04-05-2020 at 12:30 PM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I had the same question, are more people dying daily now or the same number, just by a different labeled cause.
    Say what, cant be

17. Member
    Not just smokers but overweight, diabetics, and generally people that haven’t eaten properly or taken good care of themselves are at extreme risk. On a positive note, I’m seeing many people exercising now and hopefully keep doing so.

18. Member
    i believe all deaths now are mostly be counted as covid related deaths to keeps the numbers up where they projected them to be from the models.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    I would think now would be an excellent time for any smoker to quit. Your lungs aren't 100% to begin with and getting Covid-19 would most likely be more serious.
    Good point Al.

My wife was a long time smoker...about 40 years. She did stop but the combination of asthma and smoking destroyed her lungs. She is diagnosed with copd and must use oxygen at night. Whenever she has a bronchial flare it's frightening to watch her stuggle to breath. Covid 19 would kill her without a doubt. We just stay pretty much confined now until things are resolved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast