Nitro Z20 24V to 36V TM conversion/Wiring Diagrams

Just picked up a barely used 2018 Z20 a couple weeks ago, and the original owner had converted this boat from a 24 volt TM system to 36 volt. I'm in the process of swapping out the Fortrex that was on there for a 112 36V Ultrex and I noticed that the wiring, connectors, etc. are all still the 12-24 volt components original to the boat. What if anything should be upgraded on here? The trolling motor plug and receptacle on the front of the boat is Marinco 12-24V, the wiring is 6 ga, and the curcuit breaker is a 50A. Is this adequate for the 36 volt Ultrex?

I'd also be interested if anyone has Nitro Z20 wiring diagrams for these boats, particularly the TM system and the E start system. It appears when the 3rd battery was added that the factory wired E start Jump start system was disconnected as well. I believe you can still have the E start hooked up, but it can only be on the low side battery if I'm not mistaken. I've done tons of wiring and auto electrical in my day, but I'm new to the 24/36 volt world....

First used boat I've ever bought, so I'm just trying to get this thing cleaned up and ready before I hit the water.....

Thxs

Pretty sure your existing wiring is 6 awg. With that new a boat, you should have just a red and black from the batteries up to the TM. If by chance,You have 4 wires, Red, Black. white and orange. If this is right, then you will not need the Orange and White ones. Just tape them together and set them aside. Now, connect your 3 batteries in series. Battery 1 Pos to the breaker, neg to pos on battery 2, now, battery 2 neg to battery 3 pos. Then Battery 3 neg to the black wire that goes to the trolling motor. Now if you've done it right, your will read 36v between battery 1 pos and battery 3 neg. Also check at the plug Red to Black. Tape and set aside the White and Orange wires here too. Now just wire the red and black to the receptacle and the corresponding pins on the plug to the TM. If you have a 50 amp breaker you should upgrade it to a 60 amp.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Pretty sure your existing wiring is 6 awg. With that new a boat, you should have just a red and black from the batteries up to the TM. If by chance,You have 4 wires, Red, Black. white and orange. If this is right, then you will not need the Orange and White ones. Just tape them together and set them aside. Now, connect your 3 batteries in series. Battery 1 Pos to the breaker, neg to pos on battery 2, now, battery 2 neg to battery 3 pos. Then Battery 3 neg to the black wire that goes to the trolling motor. Now if you've done it right, your will read 36v between battery 1 pos and battery 3 neg. Also check at the plug Red to Black. Tape and set aside the White and Orange wires here too. Now just wire the red and black to the receptacle and the corresponding pins on the plug to the TM. If you have a 50 amp breaker you should upgrade it to a 60 amp.
    Yes sir, just a red and a black 6 guage going to the front. Plan on swapping the 50amp breaker for a 60amp right away. Batteries are wired correctly. I'm just not sure how the Estart jump switch is supposed to be wired in to the other battery in the 36V system. I think it goes to the low side battery but....? Also plan on swapping the power plug and receptacle that comes out of the foot pedal for a 36v. The Marinco 12-24 plug and receptacle currently up front only shows rated to 24v....

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie 2.0 View Post
    Yes sir, just a red and a black 6 guage going to the front. Plan on swapping the 50amp breaker for a 60amp right away. Batteries are wired correctly. I'm just not sure how the Estart jump switch is supposed to be wired in to the other battery in the 36V system. I think it goes to the low side battery but....? Also plan on swapping the power plug and receptacle that comes out of the foot pedal for a 36v. The Marinco 12-24 plug and receptacle currently up front only shows rated to 24v....

I just converted a 24v to 36v system and my plug was “60am 24v” but guys said it was fine to use.
    I wired it today and it works perfectly, so you should be fine with yours.