Removing VRO from Johnson 135hp outboard

Wanting to remove the vro from my 2001 Johnson 135 hp ocean pro outboard . I have noticed it has been using more oil than needed and actually over oiling the engine to the point its been alot more smokey . Runs perfect except for the excess smoke . Any ideas on its removal ? This is on my florida vacation boat we drag down there from tn when on vacation . Boat is a 2001 Angler center console with 2001 Johnson 135 Ocean pro outboard. Engine has less than 90 hrs on it. I bought them both new back in the day. Thanks !!

2. Member
    May not be the VRO. Check for air in the fuel line, your OEM service manual will show you how to do that. Fuel hose connections can suck air and not leak any fuel. Air in the line will cause the VRO to pump more oil and make the motor smoke a lot. The wrong hose clamps or wrong hose size for the fitting will suck air. Test for air, it could save you some bucks.

3. Member
    ... I too bet is is the lines, 19-years on those lines, especially if used with E10 fuels, is a long time.

4. Member
    Thank you both for the replies ! Gonna check that right now !!