Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trolling motor batteries

Well its time for new TM batteries, currently have run diehard group 31s but it looks like I cannot get them anymore. Does anyone know who make the old school diehards? Currently thinking about running Duracell Ultra BCI Group 31m. Anyone run them?

Also what are people running now with good success?

2. Member
    Google Delco batteries and find a dealer near you. I've run them since about 1990 w/0 problems. Both TM and Starting type. Delco was at an Outdoor show I attended a number of years ago and I asked a tech rep how long their batteries last and he said they were good for 140 recharges. I go 3-4 years between changeouts.

3. Member
    Not popular here but I'm running Optima 31's for over 4 seasons. Never have issues and I do a good amount of river fishing. No matter what you buy, charge them fully after using and they should take care of you.

Go get you some DEKA INTIMIDATOR AGM batteries...you have a dealer in R.I.
    walk in service ca$h and carry. Excellent batteries and they last.

East Penn Manufacturing co inc
    24 Appian Way
    Smithfield RI
    401 233 0330
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Sears changed manufacturers periodically, so they are different at different times. If the vent caps are rectangular, they are probably Exide. If they have beveled corners, they are Johnson Controls.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    Google Delco batteries and find a dealer near you. I've run them since about 1990 w/0 problems. Both TM and Starting type. Delco was at an Outdoor show I attended a number of years ago and I asked a tech rep how long their batteries last and he said they were good for 140 recharges. I go 3-4 years between changeouts.
    Delco has been out of the battery business for almost 15 years.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 95202DCX View Post
    Go get you some DEKA INTIMIDATOR AGM batteries...you have a dealer in R.I.
    walk in service ca$h and carry. Excellent batteries and they last.

East Penn Manufacturing co inc
    24 Appian Way
    Smithfield RI
    401 233 0330
    my last set only lasted 13 months , warranty only covers 12 months so nope they didn’t replace them. I went with Duracell yeah i know nothing made by east penn but they was cheaper and if I got an 18 month warranty instead of 12

8. Member
    Go get the duracell they are priced right and I have not had any trouble with them.

9. mikesxpress
    The group 31 Odyssey is the benchmark AGM battery for marine use. Best performance specifications and warranty. Not cheap and weighs as much as a 10 year old.
    Mine last me 5+ years and I've been using them since 2004. Being retired, I get multiple days on the water each week so they get hammered here in tidal water.
    Only other battery that comes close is the X2 that is sold thru Batteries+.

10. Member
    What Mike said....And they are HEAVY!!! Never had an issue with mine, though I only have one for cranking. For trollers I still use the Everstarts, which have been pretty reliable for me over the past 20 years.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    my last set only lasted 13 months , warranty only covers 12 months so nope they didn’t replace them. I went with Duracell yeah i know nothing made by east penn but they was cheaper and if I got an 18 month warranty instead of 12
    Those Duracell batteries are exactly the same as the Deka Intimidator. Just a different label.
    nothing else matters.​

12. mikesxpress
    About 80 lbs each. Only way to compare marine batteries is the performance specifications and warranty.

13. Banned
    Some of y'all will not agree,but the Everstart from Walmart is what I use and as of now no complaints.I keep them maintained.

Odssey isn't the same battery company is was and neither are their batteries. Within the last 5-6 years I have went through them being replaced twice in less than a year and half each time including one of their chargers.

After the second failure I sold them when the replacements arrived. Think they are made in China now. Sold out or something just GARBAGE in my opinion.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Odssey isn't the same battery company is was and neither are their batteries. Within the last 5-6 years I have went through them being replaced twice in less than a year and half each time including one of their chargers.

After the second failure I sold them when the replacements arrived. Think they are made in China now. Sold out or something just GARBAGE in my opinion.

Odyssey batteries are manufactured in Missouri.
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Odyssey batteries are manufactured in Missouri.
    I don't know they were good now I doubt it with the problems I had. You can put anything on a sticker.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

17. Member
    I run NAPA batteries, made by East Penn. No problems.

18. Member
    Those Duracell batteries are exactly the same as the Deka Intimidator. Just a different label.
    Like I said I know that but the Duracell come with 18 month warranty and the intimidation only comes with 12 guess they forgot that on the label

19. Member
    Delco has been out of the battery business for almost 15 years.
    now johnson controls
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP44 View Post
    Well its time for new TM batteries, currently have run diehard group 31s but it looks like I cannot get them anymore. Does anyone know who make the old school diehards? Currently thinking about running Duracell Ultra BCI Group 31m. Anyone run them?

Also what are people running now with good success?
    Nothing wrong with those Duracell group 31, as they are made by East Penn, with a Reserve Capacity of 190. RC is the important spec for a deep cycle battery. If you go to AutoZone, you can buy a group 29/31 deep cycle battery with a larger RC of 210 minutes for 100 dollars. It is the same battery as an Interstate SRM 29/31, the previous generation Walmart Everstart Max 29, and others, just relabelled for AutoZone, all made by JCI.

If you decide that you want AGM, the best value is the Duracell 31 at Sam's Club, at 179 dollars, but be sure that your charger is compatible.

https://www.autozone.com/exterior-ac...tery/95824_0_0
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast