200 HP Mercury ProXS 4-Stroke Oil Pressure Question for Don or other experts

2020 Mercury 200 HP ProXS S/N 2B740359

I have the Mercury Monitor w/Level 2 Software. I monitor the oil pressure on my motor and am seeing that the pressure reads somewhere in the 50-60# range at idle. The pressure increases with RPMs so when I accelerate the pressure reading approaches 100 psi and appears to go "out of range" and will then show "_ _ . _" until my speed and rpms remain steady and then the reading comes back and will read in the 90-99# range when running. This appears to be an issue with the monitor not able to read above 100 psi. My question is "is this normal for this engine to run oil pressure that high?" I have about 12 hours on the engine now and it appears to be running great.
    Thanks, Jim

2. BBC SPONSOR
    I can only give u what little experience I've had with mine. I have a 250 v8, and see similar oil pressure readings. My motor only has 4 hrs on it. I assumed high oil pressure was normal. I have not paid much attention to what it reads running hard. I have however glanced down and seen above 80 psi before.

3. Member
    I have seen similar readings on my 250 Pro XS although I have not seen over 100 psi probably because I have not looked at the Merc Monitor at WOT with cold oil. Remember that the oil warms up much slower than the coolant temps. The oil temps will increase with load at high RPM's
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

My 200 has done the same but only if it jumps above 100 psi when the engine is cooler. Once fhe oil warms up runs 80-95 psi depending on rpms and 50ish at idle. Alot of oil pressure on these motors thats for sure.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pretty common with COLD engine oil... make sure your engine is coming up to temp before hammering down.

One other note- very important to run the correct oil (10w30 Synthetic BLEND Mercury or Quicksilver).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Pretty common with COLD engine oil... make sure your engine is coming up to temp before hammering down.

One other note- very important to run the correct oil (10w30 Synthetic BLEND Mercury or Quicksilver).
    Thanks Don. It looks like all is normal with the pressures I am seeing. I have been running Optimax motors forever and believe you me, I have always had the ability to monitor the engine temperature and always let it come up to temperature before taking off. I understand oil viscosity and understand that the pressures are higher with cooler oil. The oil temperature lags way behind the engine coolant temperature though. Is there a minimum oil temperature that should be considered warm enough for the morning take offs? I just had my oil changed by the Dealer so I'm sure they put the correct oil in it.
    Thanks again, Jim

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The topic of oil temperature is a highly debated one, at best. Best to simply monitor engine temperature to make sure the engine warmed up, and motor on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The topic of oil temperature is a highly debated one, at best. Best to simply monitor engine temperature to make sure the engine warmed up, and motor on.
    Thanks for your information and advice on this Forum. We all appreciate the time you spend here.
    Thanks again, Jim

Jim, I repowered my BassCat with the new 4s, about a year or so ago. Same issue with gauge. (Good readings of 80-90ish psi, then _\_. )Since I make my living flying, I kinda anal about monitoring engine gauges,,etc. I posted here on bbc, spoke to Mr Don, as well as local mechanic, was just about to have the sensor replaced when I got a phone call from a mercury software tech.we had a couple phone conversations, To sum it up, the merc monitors would only read up to 94-95ish psi. Thus the _/_. He said the new 4s was capable of producing 120-130psi. He also said they were working on a “fix”. This was Feb-March 2019. I would suspect newer gauges are up to date.
    stay safe
    gene
    22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flybyy1 View Post
    Jim, I repowered my BassCat with the new 4s, about a year or so ago. Same issue with gauge. (Good readings of 80-90ish psi, then _\_. )Since I make my living flying, I kinda anal about monitoring engine gauges,,etc. I posted here on bbc, spoke to Mr Don, as well as local mechanic, was just about to have the sensor replaced when I got a phone call from a mercury software tech.we had a couple phone conversations, To sum it up, the merc monitors would only read up to 94-95ish psi. Thus the _/_. He said the new 4s was capable of producing 120-130psi. He also said they were working on a “fix”. This was Feb-March 2019. I would suspect newer gauges are up to date.
    stay safe
    gene
    Thank you Gene! This is excellent information for me and others following this thread. I had a hunch that my gauge was telling me the truth and was going "overrange". I also am very attentive to my gauges and would not run an outboard engine without having good information about the important readings like that.
    Thanks, Jim