The importance of Smartcraft/water pressure gauge

I used to always talk about the importance of monitoring water pressure on here since alot of boats on this forum do not come factory with one. My new boat has 20 hrs on it and have always not liked how low the water pressure was and finally wed when i had it out it dipped wayyy low .5-1.2 psi at idle. I knew i had to take a look so pulled the case and took the water pump housing off and this is how i found the impeller. Brand new motor just goes to show you never know. Telltale stream was always steady. Without my smartcraft instrument i would of never known until the motor overheated and left me stranded.

455D1864-7456-4F9E-8A3B-A48C83ECC35C.jpeg
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

2. Member
    I saw your original post yesterday Roy. You caught something that could have cost you a motor. You have been boating for a long time & you knew something was wrong. Good for you.

3. Member
    Dang that looks bad. What do you think happened? Do you think the dealer ran it without getting water to it or something?

Service manager did a quick dry start and shut down and i dont think it did it any favors. I was not happy about it at all. Dealer i dealt with is praised by so many around here i couldnt wait to get the boat and get the hell out of there. Was not happy how alot of things went but what can you do only place that sells nicer glass rigs around me and theg still 3.5 hrs away not much choice. Its amazing how doing something youre not supposed to on a motor has ill effects.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Service manager did a quick dry start and shut down and i dont think it did it any favors. I was not happy about it at all.
    I learned this the hard way. Back in the early 70’s I had an aluminum bass boat with a 40 HP Mercury. Before every trip, I would start the motor in the driveway to be sure it would start. My thought was it did not run long enough to build up heat but I did not not think about the effect on the rubber impeller. I also did not pay attention to the warning signs that the cooling stream was weakening over time and ended up burning a hole in the head combustion chamber on the top cylinder.
    Hard Lesson that I will never forget.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

I think that used to be a common practice. I still see guys do it and makes me cringe lol. Luckily my engine never got hot temps were always normal another reason smartcraft is great but as the weather warms up im sure that would of changed.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Wow, wonder what they would have told you if it actually overheated on you, if thewy would have owned up.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Wow, wonder what they would have told you if it actually overheated on you, if thewy would have owned up.
    I highly doubt it. Havnt dealt with too many shops around here that will ever admit to being wrong.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. #FRB
    Do you think the dry start was enough to cause that or do you think the impeller was bad before it ever got put in the motor?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I cant say for certain but i would think thats the cause ive installed serveral of these over the years and never seen one like that but theres a first for everything lol.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    I used to always talk about the importance of monitoring water pressure on here since alot of boats on this forum do not come factory with one. My new boat has 20 hrs on it and have always not liked how low the water pressure was and finally wed when i had it out it dipped wayyy low .5-1.2 psi at idle. I knew i had to take a look so pulled the case and took the water pump housing off and this is how i found the impeller. Brand new motor just goes to show you never know. Telltale stream was always steady. Without my smartcraft instrument i would of never known until the motor overheated and left me stranded.

455D1864-7456-4F9E-8A3B-A48C83ECC35C.jpeg
    Wow! Well this answers my question in my other post. It looks like I will be purchasing Mercury's Vessel View Mobile to ensure I don't grenade my engine. Glad you caught yours.

Quote Originally Posted by msupc View Post
    Wow! Well this answers my question in my other post. It looks like I will be purchasing Mercury's Vessel View Mobile to ensure I don't grenade my engine. Glad you caught yours.
    From your other post telltale stream is generally not a sign of good water pump health. Yes it needs to be good and shows things are working but pressure can be low and also at speed its tough to look back and see. You will like having vesselview.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Good catch. Smart. With the shape it is in, I bet it was run more than that out of water.

The Yamaha equiv to the Merc is so expensive that I just added a water pressure gauge. It is not a nice but so far I like it and really like just being able to look at the dash and see water pressure. I know the smartcraft is better but YAMAHA is plenty proud of their add ins., if I was ordering new though, I would add it to the purchase order.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

I added vessel view mobile to my Dads Ranger with 90 Horsepower 2016 Merc four stroke.....but the vessel view will not pickup water pressure...its just says 0.0 for some reason......I can at least keep an eye on the engine coolant temps now though.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    I added vessel view mobile to my Dads Ranger with 90 Horsepower 2016 Merc four stroke.....but the vessel view will not pickup water pressure...its just says 0.0 for some reason......I can at least keep an eye on the engine coolant temps now though.
    To get water pressure you have to install a digital water pressure sensor on these 4 stroke motors. Its easy to install only takes a couple min the harness is already there. You can get the sensor from your merc dealer.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

To get water pressure you have to install a digital water pressure sensor on these 4 stroke motors. Its easy to install only takes a couple min the harness is already there. You can get the sensor from your merc dealer.
    WILL DO! Thanks!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"