Thread: Gunite pool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We will have sand filtration. Keep the suggestions coming guys. We supposed to meet again with the builder next week to finalize things.

2004 Bullet 20XRD
    2008 Mercury 300XS
    SN: 1E003611

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpmoran22 View Post
    About to put a gunite pool in. Is there anything that is a must have and what are some things that you can live without?
    I would highly recommend a chiller. We had a lady who had many pools tell us that and she was for sure the right. We installed a heat pump and so far we"ve ran the chiller more than the heat.

3. Member
    Salt, lots of concrete around it

one concern about salt is it might be a problem if you are backwashing your filter into sensitive areas like trees. the salt can build up and kill them.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

5. Member
    I would go with normal chemicals. I never like the salt systems as they were very expensive to install/maintain/repair. With gunite/plaster, the main thing is to maintain proper chemical levels. pH, Alkalinity, and Calcium are your 3 main things to maintain. If these get out of whack it will wreak havoc on the surfaces or your pool, and make it harder to keep clean. I operated a pool store for 10 years, so if you have any more questions let me know.

I got a big write up and post concerning my project on this very subject if you’d like to dig it up and read it...

Lots of things I did and would encourage you to do but I’m sure I’ll forget some just glancing:
    1) I have a separate pump for all of my pool equipment and while overkill some may say, I’d do it again. All VSP.
    2) Something you probably haven’t heard, but 100% put all of your pool equipment out of sight and out of the harsh environments. Most pool builders will run these with minimal plumbing and just down the hill or such. Trust me on this and I promise it’ll making a huge difference for you over time.
    3) I like the cartridge filters made today. Hayward 4030 here. No worries with backwashing salt into grounds and killing my landscape. Filters have come a long way.
    4) All equipment capable of operation by wireless and phone no matter your location.
    5) Make your tanning ledges bigger than your builder suggest! Minimum should be capable of walking on and around with (2) full size lounge chairs in place. Also add in the umbrella holders. Don’t say I didn’t say so... lol.
    6) Your most used real estate in a pool will be the shallow end. Kid friendly, entertaining friendly, what are you mainly going to use it for? Make sure you have adequate surface area and sitting areas within pool.
    (7) If choosing a pebble finish over Gunite versus plaster, if choose the mini-pebble. It’s softer and smoother on your feet and clothing worn in the pool as well as looking really good. Caribbean Blue was my choice.
    (8) Concrete decking. Be sure you have enough. Lay out everything oversized by chalk/paint and make sure it fits. lounge chairs, tables, chairs, coolers or what may be the case. You’ll thank me.
    (9) I did not place diving boards or slides. Your choice obviously and again what are you going to use this pool mostly for.
    (10) Landscaping, run off, outdoor lighting, retaining walls, etc. Just make sure you are covered. Lots of builders really don’t concentrate on final landscape or long term run off. If landscape isn’t part of project, most just do a sub par job dressing the dirt up.
    (11) Outdoor kitchen, tv, exterior fireplace, etc. Even if possible future plans be sure to think through it.
    (12) Spa with pool? Spill over, separate pumps and auto-levers that will allow you to shut spa off from pool to heat it independently.
    (13) Pool and or spa heater: If so, make sure it can control both or either separately.
    (14) I’m all Hayward equipment with salt except for the spa blower itself is a Jandy. I’ve had good service out of Hayward but past and present.
    (15) Swim outs and or walk outs versus ladders and such.
    Probably lots more but again this just coming off top of my head. Take a look at my thread to get more ideas if you’d like. Also I’ll be glad to answer any further questions if needed.

7. Member
    My salt water pool actually backwashes into the house drain system. I watch neighbors that have to roll out a large hose etc..to keep from flooding someones yard. I lived in a house one time where the neighbors pool backwashed into our yard. That can be a royal PITA. I agree with LOTS of concrete! My wife and I pressure washed our yesterday.

Get brass ladder inserts in the concrete vs the standard aluminum. Buy good commercial ladders.

Which light are they using? We had an expensive LED in ours when we moved in. The old light housing is not the best, may have been at the time it was built 12 years ago? Knowing it can seep a little water I swapped the high dollar LED with a 30.00 pool light. These lights are about 400W so they pull power.

We have a heater, never heard of a cooler. I imagine that would be a huge plus in the Deep South like Louisiana. People have been known to drop huge ice chunks in their pool during the summer. Ours is 9' deep and even in TN will be so warm by the end of the summer it feels like bath water. A pump house for the pump etc...would be nice. Ours sits outside. It is far enough away you don't hear it when sitting on the patio. I bought a good water test kit last year. I can keep track of water conditions myself vs running to the pool store all the time. A good kit will set you back about 100.00.

Did I mention LOTS of concrete? Budget for chairs etc...Our loungers were about 300.00 each by time we got good cushions, I'd budget couple grand minimum. We have a 65" tv on a rolling stand that is nice. A day in the pool lounging watching football in the fall is awesome. You'll want some good non breakable dishes and a set of non breakable glasses. Glass in the pool can be a disaster.

With all the sandstone and sinkholes around here we see a LOT more liner pools than gunite. All of them will likely need expensive maintenance over the years. To be honest my boat doesn't get used as much with a pool in the yard.

P.S. I forgot about Sally the Sucker or Peggy Polaris LOL. A vacuum that you just throw in sure is nice vs doing it manually. You'lll either get an electric or have plumbing added for one. We have an electric. You'll want an extra set of filters so you can wash one set and let the vacuum run with the other set.
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 04-05-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12