Johnson seahorse lost power while running down lake

I was out running my buddy’s boat and it has a Johnson seahorse 1983 140hp and we was running it down the lake and running the old gas from last year he left in it and we run it for a good 45 min and all of a sudden it lost all power it is still running good and idling good it just won’t get up on pad. Please help he’s wanting to fish some tournaments this year so he needs it fixed as soon as possible thanks in advance

2. Member
    It sounds like fuel starvation, possibly carb jets need cleaning.

3. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    no alarms , when that happen to mine last year it was the power pack not saying that what your is but something to check it would idle and rev fine but put it in gear couldn't get more than 3000 rpms and wouldn't get on plane either
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    no alarms , when that happen to mine last year it was the power pack not saying that what your is but something to check it would idle and rev fine but put it in gear couldn't get more than 3000 rpms and wouldn't get on plane either
    1983 140hp is old school so there was no VRO or oil tank. The only alarm you may hear is overheat. Didnt have a vacuum fuel switch either so no fuel restriction alarm as well.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Check all the carbs and insure they are opening 100% and at the same time. Check all linkage to insure it is ok and operating right/when pushing throttle lever all the forward/carbs open 100%. Not a good idea to run old possibly bad gas out. Crossflows do not like bad/trash gas. Check linkage and then go from there. Easy stuff first. Also, like Eddie said, may have pulled some trash into carbs.....let us know what you find.

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    If linkage and carb opening check out ok/take it to the lake and when it acts up/wont go on plane/push your choke-primer button and see if it picks up. If it does then we know to look further into the fuel system. If not, then possibly electrical.