Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Undrivable over 65

So I got this boat last fall. Set it up to my liking over the winter by adding hydraulic steering and a 6" atlas hydraulic jackplate. I posted before about my motor looking 1/4" higher on the right than the left. Several said it should be fine. Well it's a 2007 nitro 591 with a 200 optimax on it. Brand new 25 fury. Great till 65ish. Then gets scary squirrelly. Propshaft to pad all the way down which is how I was running it is 4 1/8th inches below the pad. So I came home and did some checking and found these pics.. pics are of the deck, top of transom and then top of jackplate..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    River Runner

2. Banned
    Now check the level of the pad to the motor.

Boats are put together in two pieces a vast majority of the time they are not mounted truly square together.

I have seen a few mounted crooked never heard of one causing a issue not saying it isn't possible. Since you have no issues till 65 mph my guess is that your experiencing "chine walk" and need a lesson from a experienced driver to learn how to drive at those speeds. You can't drive through it you either have to learn how to stop it from happening with the correct driver input or change you setup to slow down.

3. Member
    It is possible to chine walk that bad with the motor that low? It's not like I was trying to run 2" below the pad..
    This seems way more violent and the boat seems to start pivoting. I can believe that the top cap can be off 1/4". But that's over 80"+, not 16" across the jackplate.. There is all of 1/4" of the jackplate exposed over the top of the transom on the driver's side
    River Runner

4. Member
    Plus the guy I got it from before the jackplate said he could only get to 64 before he got scared. Also a different prop than now.. I chalked that up to the cable steering that was on it. Guess that maybe that wasn't the issue? Idk
    River Runner

5. Pat Goff
    Tons written on chine walk.
    Raising the motor will help but getting a good driving lesson is the only real answer.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    I Would Think There's something wrong being that much of a difference. I have a manual jack plate and I Was at my prop place and right away he noticed that the motor wasn't level he measured and it was 1/16 inch difference from side to side I got Home and leveled it and it made a big difference. Just Saying

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illinicobra View Post
    It is possible to chine walk that bad with the motor that low? It's not like I was trying to run 2" below the pad..
    This seems way more violent and the boat seems to start pivoting. I can believe that the top cap can be off 1/4". But that's over 80"+, not 16" across the jackplate.. There is all of 1/4" of the jackplate exposed over the top of the transom on the driver's side
    Yes, the lower you run a prop, the worse it can chine walk.
    Is the motor centered at the bolts and at the foot? It should be centered and vertical. Either off will affect driving.
    2nd, did you put the level on it on land, or in the water. It should be in the water loaded,people and all, how you normally run.

8. Member
    Here's what it looks like...

KIMG3455_06.JPG
    River Runner

9. Member
    I've never seen one that far off. I don't know what is exactly off without seeing it in person, but it looks like someone misdrilled the starboard holes half an inch, or mislocated the template that far off. That needs to be fixed. And I would remove the jackplate and inspect the holes in the transom for damage that might be hidden. If the transom is OK, I would change the plate to transom height about 2" higher and completely redrill and remount the jackplate. And you might consider 6 bolt mounting. That far off would make almost any bassboat a bitch to drive at speed.

10. Pat Goff
    You should eliminate the variable. Find a seasoned rigger that has a laser rigging light or knows how to arc your pad. Then you’ll know if the motor is off to the pad, which is what matters. Top of the transom really doesn’t matter. I agree it looks bad but it very well could be correct. A quick and fairly easy way to at least get close is to use the two mold marks (bumps) in the center of the transom. Use a straight edge to draw a line between them and measure to each side of your plate. That’ll be close.

I have seen some awful transom angles before and you might have one, but you have to verify from the bottom not the top.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

11. Member
    WOW looks almost like it's 1 hole difference between the sides and I will Second about getting an experienced rigger to at least look at it

12. Member
    And.......don't forget solid mounts on your motor if you're going to run 60 mph plus
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Swan View Post
    WOW looks almost like it's 1 hole difference between the sides and I will Second about getting an experienced rigger to at least look at it
    Yep

14. Member
    96162425_10223331388052455_636189153091911680_n.jpg95796309_10223331388572468_1523361738102145024_n.jpg

So here's before and after. I took the jackplate off. Took it apart. Made a template to lower the right side 1/4" out of some plastic sheet I had. Had my buddy who's a certified welder at a fab shop fill the holes then re-drill to my template. It may not be perfect, but I feel it couldn't hurt and I feel I have a better chance now.. I will post after I get to drive it.
    River Runner

15. Member
    It does look better in reference to the top of transom, but as Pat Goff pointed out "I have seen some awful transom angles before and you might have one, but you have to verify from the bottom not the top."
    Your motor should be plum to the centerline of your hull's keel line. Did your friend find the holes to be 1/4" off after the JP was verified as squared?
    BTW, 3/4" would be the distance from center to center of holes on your motor mount, and try NOT TO OVER TRIM your motor once you are on plane, which will aggravate your chine walk. Once you are on plane, start trimming up in very small tap increments until you feel the oscillations, now tap down 1 or 2, if it stopped, stay there and get some seat time.
    Here is a link that may help you:
    https://www.screamandfly.com/content...-How-To-Fix-It
    Last edited by digthemup; 05-10-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Jack plate is crooked

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    It does look better in reference to the top of transom, but as Pat Goff pointed out "I have seen some awful transom angles before and you might have one, but you have to verify from the bottom not the top."
    Your motor should be plum to the centerline of your hull's keel line. Did your friend find the holes to be 1/4" off after the JP was verified as squared?
    BTW, 3/4" would be the distance from center to center of holes on your motor mount, and try NOT TO OVER TRIM your motor once you are on plane, which will aggravate your chine walk. Once you are on plane, start trimming up in very small tap increments until you feel the oscillations, now tap down 1 or 2, if it stopped, stay there and get some seat time.
    Here is a link that may help you:
    https://www.screamandfly.com/content...-How-To-Fix-It

I hung 2 plumb bobs, one off the keel at the front and one off the transom center(the factory marks I found). I shot a laser through the 2 strings and found the laser hit the passenger side of the gear case. It was off somewhere between 1/4-1/2" from center. Will post more after I get the chance to drive it. With what it was doing, there's no way I made it worse
    River Runner

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illinicobra View Post
    I hung 2 plumb bobs, one off the keel at the front and one off the transom center(the factory marks I found). I shot a laser through the 2 strings and found the laser hit the passenger side of the gear case. It was off somewhere between 1/4-1/2" from center. Will post more after I get the chance to drive it. With what it was doing, there's no way I made it worse
    icobra,
    Sounds like you took quantifiable steps to assure the work needed to be done, and I am sure you check the actual JP for square prior to redrilling it. I bought a Vance JP few years back that was about as square as a 3 legged dog, and had to loosen every bolt on it to resquare it, though afterwards had to replace with a better quality Slidemaster.
    I hope you read the link, which will help you understanding chine walk.
    Be well and be safe

19. Member
    Did you verify that it was not the holes in the transom that were drilled wrong or enlarged by the blots being lose allowing the jack plate to move?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Did you verify that it was not the holes in the transom that were drilled wrong or enlarged by the blots being lose allowing the jack plate to move?
    The holes in the transom were off. Not enlarged. Just crooked. I had the jackplate modified to correct the issue.
    River Runner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast