Bass Pro Johnny Morris Carbonlite Spinning Reel Drag Troubleshoot

I've used this reel for two seasons and now the drag is messed up. When I pull out line (manually pull out drag) the drag adjustment knob at tip of spool spins (tightens) at the same time. I checked the drag washers for grit and grime and they are clean. I came to realize this was happening this past fall when a big smallie started peeling drag and then my line snapped. I checked the drag after and it was tighter than a drum when I knew it was set properly. Any recommendations on how to fix this? Thanks!

The drag adjustment knob is typically made as an assembly. The outer cap/knob houses a main threaded insert/washer (15231 in the assembly drawing below) that is surrounded by washers designed to slip to allow for rotation. This assembly is loaded to allow for a slight drag, but certainly shouldn't be loose. See the below schematic from an older Shimano Stradic. Not the same reel, but they all have a similar function.

It sounds to me like something isn't freely rotating as it should inside that knob. If I were to guess, the washers that are next to this insert are somehow stuck to the threaded insert/washer preventing it from spinning. There may be a keyed washer (16119) that may be out of place or the keys are damaged/missing.
    Annotation 2020-04-08 075600.png

3. Member
    Thank you. I took that apart and didn't see anything that stood out to me. I ended up mailing it to Bass Pro Rod & Reel repair. Cost $20+ so I guess I'll have to wait and see what they say.