Fortrex 101 works when it wants to, but doesn't when I want it to.

Just started having a weird problem on my Skeeter 20i. It has the original Fortrex 101 that it came with new. It works when it's stowed when I push the button on the foot controller, prop spins fine. When I deploy it, nothing. I routinely take the prop off and clean any debris out, and there was nothing when I got home yesterday.

Is the old girl dying on me? It's a 52" shafter and I find it too long for the water I fish mainly. If it's not a quick/easy fix I may just replace it with a 45" 112.

2. Member
    Remove the top cap from the TM head and check the splice on the two large wires,one red and one black,sounds like your splice is bad. MK uses spade connectors there and they burn up over time. You’ll need to remove the heat shrink to see the connectors,if they are bad you can re-connect the wires with a #12-10 butt splice with a proper crimp tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Remove the top cap from the TM head and check the splice on the two large wires,one red and one black,sounds like your splice is bad. MK uses spade connectors there and they burn up over time. You’ll need to remove the heat shrink to see the connectors,if they are bad you can re-connect the wires with a #12-10 butt splice with a proper crimp tool.
    I had it all taken apart this afternoon, I think it's actually butt connected but not sure. It's completely wrapped in electrical tape. I'll look at it in the morning. Thank you, and I'll post an update tomorrow.

Opened it up and you were right, they were roasted. I replaced both (as well as the little fuse) and still the same. Works when stowed, nothing when deployed.

5. Member
    I'd imagine there's a wire going from the pedal to the head that's either broken or shorting when the motor's deployed.

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to upgrade and use this one for spare parts or sell to someone looking for some parts.

7. Member
    It won’t be good for either if you don’t get it fixed. It sounds like there is a broken wire that makes connection when it stowed,could be anywhere from the head to the pedal. It might not be easy to find but it will be worth more if you sell it.Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    It won’t be good for either if you don’t get it fixed. It sounds like there is a broken wire that makes connection when it stowed,could be anywhere from the head to the pedal. It might not be easy to find but it will be worth more if you sell it.Good luck.

I sold it local for parts last night. The buyer needed the base, shaft and the head. $120 and I'm not complaining. Both parties got exactly what we wanted.

I replaced mine with a lightly used 45" 112 off of a 2014 Ranger for $250, came with a bunch of extras and spare parts. Installed and hooked it up last night, works like new. Not a bad trade off, those don't happen too often.