Thread: Captain Crozier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Captain Crozier

This great man sends a letter voicing concern of the American hero’s aboard the aircraft carrier he was in command of. Said letter gets leaked by some, in my opinion, traitor to the media and he gets relieved of his command? I hope there is a serious investigation into who leaked this and they are punished accordingly. I believe he did what was on the best interest of the Marines and Sailors aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt. Im a Marine Corp Veteran and my hats off to you sir. Semper Fi
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

2. Member
    Agree with you.
    Praying for a Cure

I don't know all of the details, but I am friends with someone who is a retired Navy Lt. Commander. While he sympathized with the concerns expressed by the Captain of the aircraft carrier, he was deeply distressed that he would bypass the chain of command the way he did. My friend said that the Captain knew that his actions were not by the book and that being relieved of his command was the least serious results that he could expect.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    As a Vet, I can appreciate the chain of command but as you said, we don’t and probably never will IF he started going thru the COC and wasn’t getting anywhere? My opinion is ,he recognized a life or death situation and I totally agree with your friend, he said the hell with his career and made the choice any rational person should of in that situation and did the right thing
    Last edited by Koma; 04-03-2020 at 10:16 PM.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

My opinion is he did the right thing and 100's of his sailors obviously agreed when they were cheering him as he left the ship.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    My opinion is he did the right thing and 100's of his sailors obviously agreed when they were cheering him as he left the ship.
    Hundreds on a carrier with thousands.

"Crozier’s letter was sent via a “non-secure, unclassified” email that included at least “20 to 30” recipients in addition to the captain’s immediate chain of command, Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly told reporters Thursday.It was an act that “raised alarm bells unnecessarily,” Modly said. “It undermines our efforts and the chain of command’s efforts to address this problem, and creates a panic and this perception that the Navy’s not on the job, that the government’s not on the job, and it’s just not true.”"

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...bshell-letter/

7. Member

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I don't know all of the details, but I am friends with someone who is a retired Navy Lt. Commander. While he sympathized with the concerns expressed by the Captain of the aircraft carrier, he was deeply distressed that he would bypass the chain of command the way he did. My friend said that the Captain knew that his actions were not by the book and that being relieved of his command was the least serious results that he could expect.
    ex navy,lead by example and if you expect your sailers to follow orders under stressful conditions you damn well accept the results of your wilfull actions. We had some "snowflake" officers in theUSN and one was an Adm son. Sack his ass !

9. triton
    history repeats itself often .................

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

these times and conditions hopefully go away soon How do you fight an " invisible enemy" ? You follow orders and the chain of command. Special warfare teachers warriors to change on the go as situations dictate. I salute the Captain and would proudly serve with him any day

11. Member
    Not smart to let our enemies know one of our most valuable weapons is sitting idle. His heart was probably in the right place but he compromised a lot more people than just his ship. He had to go.

12. Member
    While the man himself sounds like a decent standup human being there is absolutely NO place for emotions in military decisions man was about to become a disease that would’ve riddled its way through the whole ship. Be a leader make tough ugly decisions it’s what they pay you for. Now instead of being in command of the most powerful ship in the world and commanding the bravest men and women you can go home and think about your mistake for the rest of your life.

13. Member
    Don't have a problem with him requesting help, but the way he did it was close to treason. You never ever let anyone outside of the chain of command know what the combat readiness level of the ship is. The bigger problem now is going to be the new CO will be looked at as the enemy by the junior enlisted crew. The moral of the crew is very important to readiness. I was stationed on the USS Saratoga when the CO was relieved of command, it was a very tough time and moral was in the crapper.
    John the Garage Doorman

The way he went about was wrong, The media didn't do him any favors, I myself read headlines, "Captain begging for help" and"Caption pleading for help" on two different stories, officers don't beg or plead, if he did he shouldn't command.

15. Banned
    Relieving him of his command was the appropriate thing to do.

You can not circumvent the COC without consequences. Great captain or not.

17. Member
    Active military here. Absolutely agree that he messed up. I’ll leave it at that

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Reserved judgement until some more information became available so after reading through it then hearing from friends who are career Naval Officers have to agree with the decision. There was already a plan and action in progress to address the needs of that vessel there was no reason for him to take those actions so he alone is responsible for the consequences.

I do agree that this gentleman is a man of integrity, an excellent officer and his intentions were good but do not condone his actions.

The chain of command in the military is there for good reasons as Officers making "Rouge Decisions" on their own could be disastrous so to dismiss it in even in this case would set a dangerous precedent.

The Commander violated one of the most cherished military regulations that has been taken seriously ever since the Revolutionary War. He was not in a combat situation unable to communicate within the chain of command directly to his superiors. Hopefully he can finish out his career and retire as a commander he would be eligible for a substantial military retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    this and at least one of my young co-workers and retired marine and now active guard member has been posting the same belief on the FB and this kid is not a pansy lib like me, lol

20. Banned
    I see it both ways, he did the right thing, the Navy also did the right thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast