Thread: "Pork Frog"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Almost impossible to find skin with thick enough fat. Hogs feed out to market weight so quickly now, they don’t develop the need fat beneath the skin. I read somewhere that is why Uncle Josh went under. We got too good at growing hogs.
    Yes this is what I read also. Now where were they getting their hog skin from? Was a big hog farm that processed many, many hogs a year? Maybe smaller, privately owned farms have fatter hogs, I don't know but I'll have to check it out.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Waste of money...rage craw or speed craw. Pork is so 80’s and don’t tell me they hold on to it better, or it’s a great cold water bait. Nonsense. If it was that great...and there was a market for it...somebody would be making it other than a numbnut that cant keep up with his orders.
    Everyone likes to fish they're own way. I like to put a pork chunk on a spinnerbait and throw it at night. I don't care what decade they came out with the pork frog but it's what I like to use. And, apparently at least a handful of guys would still like to be able to get some pork frogs.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    I can make a bait that is just as meaty and has damn near the same action with soaked leather
    Yep Josh made some nice looking ones.

4. Member
    Waste of money...rage craw or speed craw. Pork is so 80’s and don’t tell me they hold on to it better, or it’s a great cold water bait. Nonsense. If it was that great...and there was a market for it...somebody would be making it other than a numbnut that cant keep up with his orders.
    Not only do I prefer pork in early spring, it shines when flipping extremely heavy brush. One trailer all day.. way less rigging/adjusting time.. equals more water covered

5. Member
    Being a lifelong pork guy, one word, plastics.

I eat a ton of fried pork cracklins, which are skin with fat. What's the difference ?
    Ranting incoherently

Looks exactly the same...will last all day...and you can actually get them.
    And why do the call them frogs? I’ve never seen a crawfish with a frog attached to it.
    E95F32A5-C969-437B-B590-70070561C296 by dean c, on Flickr

8. Member
    Are you educating your fish by using the same bait to practice with as you plan to use on tournament day? I would suggest using a bait you think they will eat to practice ..and the one you know they will eat when money is on the line... maybe I’m wrong and I’m just giving are highly pressured Ohio bass to much credit..Although Id be hard to convince that you can’t educate a bass..

9. Member
    Actually, I have fished skirted jigs with no trailers several times, can't really tell a difference. I never use a spinnerbait trailer either.

Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    Everyone likes to fish they're own way. I like to put a pork chunk on a spinnerbait and throw it at night. I don't care what decade they came out with the pork frog but it's what I like to use. And, apparently at least a handful of guys would still like to be able to get some pork frogs.
    Spoken like a true Tennessee fisherman!

Not too many have had the pleasure of fishing our lakes like that. My biggest fish came at night on a spinnerbait with a #11 attached. Wish I could find a stash of them somewhere ........

11. Member

2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

12. Im wishin I was fishin
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    What I remember is the price when up on the pork so they weren’t making any money. I agree with dean.
    The problem was most hides now are from fast growing confinement raised hogs the hides were too thin for Uncle Josh to use.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    Are you educating your fish by using the same bait to practice with as you plan to use on tournament day? I would suggest using a bait you think they will eat to practice ..and the one you know they will eat when money is on the line... maybe I’m wrong and I’m just giving are highly pressured Ohio bass to much credit..Although Id be hard to convince that you can’t educate a bass..
    I just don’t give them and their pea size brain that much credit.

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    I just don’t give them and their pea size brain that much credit.
    nor do I...

15. Member
    Out of curiosity what was the liquid that the original pork chucks were stored in?

16. Member
    Looks exactly the same...will last all day...and you can actually get them.
    And why do the call them frogs? I’ve never seen a crawfish with a frog attached to it.
    E95F32A5-C969-437B-B590-70070561C296 by dean c, on Flickr
    I believe it's because the original uncle josh pork was green with black dots ( I think), and resembled frog legs. I could be wrong though.

17. Member
    I just looked it up, the guys that started the company liked to fish live frogs in the afternoon. One summer frogs were hard to find so they cut up some pork fat to make a bait to resemble a frog.

18. Member
    There may be something in the inability to acquire quality 'fatback', but now there are boutique hog farmers...and then cutting it...

https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...rind-trailers/
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12