1993 Intruder 175 starter

It looks like the bendix is seperate from the starter. There is a bushing molded in the flywheel cover. The cover is cracked all the way across.
    I didn't see any way the gear would stop before slamming into the bottom of the cover.
    I'm wondering if any one can explain how this works, and if something is missing on the bendix. Thanks for any help.
    My neighbor has a new flywheel cover on the way.
    Wes

2. Member
    Get a OMC service manual for this motor, every thing you need to know is in there.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can download one here for a small fee. https://www.selffixer.com/outboard.m....PN.508286.htm

4. Member
    Thanks for the link. I'll let my neighbor know.
    Wes

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It is a gear reduction starter. there is a small gear on the starter itself and the pinion and the pinion and shaft assembly. The large pinion gear sits inside the flywheel cavity and spins the pinion shaft up into the flywheel.

6. Member
    Thanks . The flywheel cover is cracked next to the bushing. I found a diagram of the pinion gear setup. It seems ok. We ha a cover on the way. I'm concerned about removing the ignition timing parts that are connected to this cover. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I'm thinking the timing gear has to be removed. Thanks.
    Wes

7. Member
    I have a suggestion for you, have him get the darn service manual.