ISO some help choosing older humminbird model

What does HD mean in the old model numbers? Is it high definition screen or high definition transducer?

I currently have a 859ci HD on the bow and a 997c SI on the console. My goal is to be able to share waypoints from the console to the bow and have 360 on the bow. I also have an interlink, but currently my two models don't network together. I am trying to be as frugal as possible and utilize all the stuff I already have. My plan right now is to use the 859 for the 360, move the 997 to the bow for mapping and 2d, and find another head unit for the console that will network to the 997 through my interlink and connect to the SI transducer I have installed currently. I don't know if I should be looking for the HD models like a 998c HD SI or if the HD is only for the 800hz which I don't need. I would like the best screen pixel count for the SI.

Thanks, Travis

The difference between the 998c SI Combo and 998c HD SI Combo is the backlighting. The 998c SI Combo has CCFL backlighting and the 998c HD SI Combo has LED backlighting. Any other use of HD in a model name doesn't stand for High Definition either, just states something is different.
    Example the 999ci HD SI Combo is the next newer model after the 998c HD SI Combo--same display and same transducer but has a faster processor and internal GPS antenna.

HD with a XHS 9 HDSI 180 T means it is tuned to 455 kHz and 800 kHz as well as being longer than the Compact SI transducer for units with just 455 kHz. Sooooo the higher frequency and longer SI piezos produce a sharper image (HD).
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Ok, wow, that's so complicated. Thanks for the info. Do you have a recommendation for what model I should run at the console? Looking at the networking compatibility chart it looks like the best choices would be 1198, 1197, 1158,1157, 998, and 958. Not sure which of those has SI because it doesn't say on the chart.

1197c SI Combo
    1198c SI Combo
    1157c Combo=2D sonar
    1158c Combo=2D sonar
    1158c DI Combo
    998's are SI models
    958 can be either Sonar or DI models.

The 9 before the last number is Side Imaging.
    The 5 before the last number is either Sonar or Down Imaging.

You can substitute the last number to 9 and it would be the last series before the Helix models that replaced the number series units.
    The 997 and 1197 also have the CCFL backlighting so I would eliminate those.
    That would leave the 1198c SI Combo and the HD versions of the 900 series models as good choices.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thank you! That helps a lot! I was getting pretty frustrated trying to figure it out myself.