Is any body breaking...??

The tabs on the side of (2018) Helix CHIRP Mega DI trolling motor transducer, that the hose clamp is threaded through? I have a call into to my local service center...but...Am I going to have to get a whole new transducer. Is this common. Is there a another install method that prevent this?
    Steve

Overtightening the hose clamps causes that most of the time. Should be just tight enough to allow some slippage if the transduer contacts the bottom or "stuff". Otherwise don't use the stainless steel hose clamps and use plastic cable ties, you can't gorilla those tight enough to break the transducer ears and will get the slippage needed.

You can salvage the puck somewhat though by epoxying the hose clamps to the cavity on top of the transducer. Sand the transducer some to get the "slick" off. Just put the hose clamps in place and make a pool of epoxy to cover both. Give it 24+ hours to fully harden.
    Just don't overtighten the clamps again.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Overtightening the hose clamps causes that most of the time. Should be just tight enough to allow some slippage if the transduer contacts the bottom or "stuff". Otherwise don't use the stainless steel hose clamps and use plastic cable ties, you can't gorilla those tight enough to break the transducer ears and will get the slippage needed.

You can salvage the puck somewhat though by epoxying the hose clamps to the cavity on top of the transducer. Sand the transducer some to get the "slick" off. Just put the hose clamps in place and make a pool of epoxy to cover both. Give it 24+ hours to fully harden.
    Just don't overtighten the clamps again.
    Thanks for the advice. The clamps were rigged at the dealer so....I didn't have any say..I have to go out and check the boat...I was also told that some transducer had an adaptor and these tabs are not part of the actual transducer....going to see now...
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve1206 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. The clamps were rigged at the dealer so....I didn't have any say..I have to go out and check the boat...I was also told that some transducer had an adaptor and these tabs are not part of the actual transducer....going to see now...
    Boat rigging is only as good as the person doing the rigging.

Transducer Shield and Saver does have a "protector" for the DI pucks but not like what they have for 2D sonar pucks and transom styles.
    You can try a couple of those AFTER you get the hose clamp attached to have some connection to the trolling motor.
    Put one on each end:

https://www.transducershieldandsaver...r-transducers/
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL