New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Question on 3 blade props for Motorguide???

I noticed when looking at prop replacements one is Black Machete says plastic and the other says Grey glass filled which prop is better and what do the difference do ??? Is one stronger or give more thrust or power than the other or come through weeds easier?? thanks for any info you can provide
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

The glass filled is a more rigid prop that flexes less. That reduction in flex does a few things such as quiet the prop down a little and runs more efficient. It is also more durable than the plastic. FWIW, I highly recommend the aluminum prop. They say only use for 36v trolling motors, but I have had no problems with my 24v and I am not concerned about warranty at this point (out of warranty).

My x5 came with a 2 blade safari prop and I first tried a plastic machete. I hated that prop because it was so noisy, not very efficient, and sucked in the grass. I then upgraded to the aluminum prop and it made a world of difference to the noise and the efficiency. I rarely run my trolling motor above 7 now and most times it is at a 3 because it is so much more efficient than the previous safari and plastic machete.

Machetes still suck in the grass, aluminum or plastic. It is what it is. I kept my safari prop for grass use and swap it to the aluminum machete for everything else. I wonder what the new katana prop would be like?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtaylor View Post
    I wonder what the new katana prop would be like?
    Katana review.....

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1032543
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

4. Member
    I had problems with the aluminum props making a high pitched noise.

The black plastic ones are soft thin plastic and slower.

Grey glass filled are the best machete prop IMHO. Tough and fast. If you hit objects the nicks can be filed off the leading edge with a standard hand file.