Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

LiveScope testing

I am trying to come up with a test scenario regarding these updates. So far the best thing I've seen is in some video TOC emailed me links to. A live situation may not be definitive. Fish move, the boat moves and in my case I may have moved the TM slightly. What I propose to do is roll back the software with a forced update to v16.00/v2.10. Then perform the test as objectively as possible through each successive software update. So that would be:
    v16.00/v2.10
    v17.10/v2.20
    v18.10/v2.33
    v18.10/reversion to v2.20 gain tables

For each test, care would need to be exercised to use the same settings, same location, same targets, etc. My units are GPSMAP units so a video of each test could be captured via ActiveCaptain. That works most of the time, but I have had AC videos that turned out pixelated and garbled that was different than what I saw on the unit. That's just a chance I'd have to take.

So far the things I see reported to look for to document are:
    Ghost Trees
    Reception differences
    Dead spots

I'm taking suggestions for any aspect of this.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Thanks, Leonard..Looking forward to your findings...

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

I did the Perspective update about 6 days ago and fashioned up a mount. Yesterday was on the water for the first time since and noticed what others have referred to as "the ghost tree". First time I have ever seen it on my units and was running original software (Jan. 2019) unsure of the version.

A few dead spots here and there and overall a worst livescope return as before. With that being said, I was on the water 2 days prior to updating the unit without any problems.

Staying tuned in to see what happens!
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

4. Member
    I have a old version last years, I think 2.0, anyway have not updated and now I am now getting the ghost tree and image is not near as good as it was. I am wondering if ls get weaker as it gets older or just maybe it's the time of the year, like pollen or water clarity.

5. Member
    Boy I would hope garmin has a tank or pool or something to do development work on these under controlled conditions.

I have noticed with mine current can make the image real noisy. Even just slight current from a windy day.

6. Member
    Testing from a stationary dock with all variations of software on the same day would be ideal.

7. Member
    Sounds like a great test. I think Gain Settings would be important information. After the latest 2.33 update my gain is running in the mid to low 40's. And I still have a very heavy starburst effect. Prior to the latest 2 updates I was typically running in the mid 60's to the low 70's with little to none starburst.

Thanks for doing this!

8. Member
    I think you mean:

v16.00/v2.10
    v17.10/v2.20
    v18.10/v2.30 (no need to test this version)
    v18.xx/v2.33 (reversion to v2.20 gain tables)

I suggest you roll back to the oldest first, then gradually update one by one, skipping v2.30.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post

So that would be:
    v16.00/v2.10
    v17.10/v2.20
    v18.10/v2.33
    v18.10/reversion to v2.20 gain tables

I'm taking suggestions for any aspect of this.

9. Member
    I have the 126xv Ultra with the latest update and thankfully it looks good to me. I am going to get another livescope too.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    I think you mean:

v16.00/v2.10
    v17.10/v2.20
    v18.10/v2.30 (no need to test this version)
    v18.xx/v2.33 (reversion to v2.20 gain tables)

I suggest you roll back to the oldest first, then gradually update one by one, skipping v2.30.
    You are correct. However I do think all of them would need to be compared, particularly v18.10 with 2.30 since that's when the majority of the complaints surfaced. The last MFD version is still designated v18.10 so now we have two v18.10 builds. One with GLS versions 2.30 and one with 2.33 which is actually 2.20. I am particularly interested in comparing v17.10 with 2.20 and v18.10 with v2.20. The LVS should look the same.....probably. I only plan to deal with Livescope Forward.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Here’s something I saw the other day ,at about 30 feet out it was snowy as heck and 30 feet inwards it was all sun rays starnge for sure .Theres no way you could see a lure in the snow ,it’s almost like a old tv station on antenna that never came in real strong.But it was a split screen for sure

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Here’s something I saw the other day ,at about 30 feet out it was snowy as heck and 30 feet inwards it was all sun rays starnge for sure .Theres no way you could see a lure in the snow ,it’s almost like a old tv station on antenna that never came in real strong.But it was a split screen for sure
    This is the first thing I noticed when I did the perspective update.
    Before I was making 30-50 ft casts with a 1/4 oz crappie jig, watching it drop down to fish in 20 fow. No way I can see my jig now.
    Its lost in the snow or as I was calling it raining interference.
    i am going to do the forced update. Back to 2.20
    I got 3 Ultras networked.
    Guess you have to do them one at a time according to the directions from Garmin?

13. Member
    Leonard - very interested in the sensitivity in forward view as the updates with perspective seem to have really impacted the ability to identify lure, especially less than 50’ out. When I am allowed back on the water I will do some testing but won’t have the ability to compare that many with forced updates.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    I have a old version last years, I think 2.0, anyway have not updated and now I am now getting the ghost tree and image is not near as good as it was. I am wondering if ls get weaker as it gets older or just maybe it's the time of the year, like pollen or water clarity.
    Mr too. I have a 8612 running the version on it from a year ago. Mine has definitely degraded since the install. It has no kinks and where it rotates and is stowed and deployed the installer was very careful to leave nice smooth loops.

Not sure what's going on but I want the original picture back please.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DR. DROP View Post
    Before I was making 30-50 ft casts with a 1/4 oz crappie jig, watching it drop down to fish in 20 fow. No way I can see my jig now.
    Guess you have to do them one at a time according to the directions from Garmin?
    I'm in the same boat with both of you guys. Very frustrating!
    What I don't understand is some of us are having major issues and some like Leonard are not having any.
    Looking forward to see the results of this test!

Quote Originally Posted by DR. DROP View Post
    I am in the same boat as you as far as having units Networked..Just remember that you will lose the big improvement with SI/ClearVu when you go back & I still use SI a lot..
    I guess you could remove the Network cable and just roll back the Bow unit but you would lose Mapping & Waypoints. Also sets would have different software that most companies don't like..

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

17. Member
    Before you roll back a version with the forced updated you need to say your waypoints to an sd card. You can also save the profiles and SmartMode setups to an sd card but they won't always restore to an earlier version. Within the same version they can be restored after a factory reset. I've never had waypoints fair to restore from the sd card.

18. Member
    I'm not sure there is any point to do this test I proposed. Kind of like beating a dead horse. Garmin has acknowledged a problem by reverting the gain tables back to 2.20 and many have posted their own experiences. TOC has a couple of videos that do a good job making the point.

19. Member
    I am going to attemp to post some pictures later today to show the issue below.

Look at the back 1/2 of the screen in forward range. If your forward range is 0-30, then look at 15-30 and see how weak the returns are. If you change the forward range, then the same thing happens. It is always the last 1/2. It has not mattered what the settings are. It is always the same.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    I'm in the same boat with both of you guys. Very frustrating!
    What I don't understand is some of us are having major issues and some like Leonard are not having any.
    Looking forward to see the results of this test!

Hey Royt, yes indeed it can all be frustrating, and updating multiple networked units brings headaches to some, and no issues to others which is strange for sure. We have so much technology in these units now-a-days updating is a chore to say the least. If it makes you feel any better, I've had all the top brand units, and all brands have updating quirks when networked. I have 3 Ultras and 1 GPSMAP; however, the GPSMAP 1242xsv is dedicated to the Livescope as a stand alone unit only, and I do not have this unit network.

From previous trial and error when updating, I disconnect EVERY cable except the power cable and update each unit individually. Reset to factory defaults, power down, reconnect all cables, power back up and you should be golden. When updating the unit that is the primary unit the Livescope is connected to, keep the GLS10 plugged into the primary unit, and only the power wire for the primary unit. Disconnect everything else. Same process, update, restore defaults, power down, reconnect all cables, power back up and magic. I've recommended this process to several friends and it fixes many bugs...

Some will say you should't have to disconnect all the cables, you should't have to restore defaults, and I don't disagree, BUT IT WORKS! I just avoid the headache, and do it this way no matter what, and I've had ZERO issues myself.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast