Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Why it matters... compromise amidst COVID-19

If you've been following the news, and reading threads here, it is easy to see how the "shutdown" is affecting even "small" industries like the boating industry.

Health Care Providers' sole purpose is to care for human patients. They are a vital voice in this fight against this new virus.

Economists have the ability to help us care for the economic engine that serves the same patients.

Food for thought: Businesses run on revenue - not capital. Most businesses and even small colleges and universities cannot maintain an indefinite "pause".

Hitting "re-start" on the economy is not a simple proposition. It takes capital to restart a business that has been on "pause".

This is a complex problem, but it is worth thinking through how we might hear all voices and work toward solutions that address both the instigating problem (the virus) as well as the sympathetic problems (economy) that are arising as we walk this path.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    If you've been following the news, and reading threads here, it is easy to see how the "shutdown" is affecting even "small" industries like the boating industry.

Health Care Providers' sole purpose is to care for human patients. They are a vital voice in this fight against this new virus.

Economists have the ability to help us care for the economic engine that serves the same patients.

Food for thought: Businesses run on revenue - not capital. Most businesses and even small colleges and universities cannot maintain an indefinite "pause".

Hitting "re-start" on the economy is not a simple proposition. It takes capital to restart a business that has been on "pause".

This is a complex problem, but it is worth thinking through how we might hear all voices and work toward solutions that address both the instigating problem (the virus) as well as the sympathetic problems (economy) that are arising as we walk this path.
    NO Zero, your town has definitely been hit hard, tornado and now Covid19, you are 100% right with what you said.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

For the record I have a BSBA in Economics...

the vast majority of the country doesn't understand basic economics...

Economics have been left out of all of this..and were all screwed bc of it.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post

Economics aren't real yet, I suspect by May 1st it will be and changes will be made to get back to work.

5. Member

Economics have been let out of all of this..and were all screwed bc of it.

What the heck can we do to help folks begin to consider the cause and effect that is being put in play here? I left a good bit out of my post... I think because being more detailed just seemed vain.

Is there a clear way to factually illustrate what we are doing to our economy?

** For anyone who might think I am not taking the virus seriously, I do; I am. I have been fully aware for a while of the potential of this virus.

6. Member
    I fear carpet baggers after this.

7. Member

I have a BA from Rutgers in Economics and this scares me. Only bright spot I see is a potential large expansion in manufacturing as we realize we need to keep production of some critical supplies domestic.

Is there a clear way to factually illustrate what we are doing to our economy?
    Devastation...and the evaporation of life as we knew it.

People just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by vafishing View Post
    I have a BA from Rutgers in Economics and this scares me. Only bright spot I see is a potential large expansion in manufacturing as we realize we need to keep production of some critical supplies domestic.
    I agree with you. The only bright spot in this is the fact that our reliance on others has to cease. The fact that so few in charge actually understand the sheer gravity of what all of the stoppages etc will have on the economy is terrifying. Further the idea that $1200 or anything of the sort will mitigate the damage is beyond reality...were ****ed and anyone that doest accept that is delusional at this point.

10. Member
    I have probably said it before somewhere, but I would absolutely give my life (to the virus... mid-40s) before I would want to see my children's generation have their future completely fubar'd.

This is a tough deal to wrangle with because of all the implications for the country, healthwise and the economy, which is also essential. I don't really get the business and financial stuff bc I'm not really wired to analyze that stuff and it's outside my realm of detailed understanding. No one should be shunned for expressing their opinion as I believe 99% of the folks on here are coming from a good place of wanting to do what's best. And not to derail but bass junkie didn't u used to live in hawaii? I would never leave lol. Michigan sucks 5 months a year lol.

12. Banned
    I agree with you. The only bright spot in this is the fact that our reliance on others has to cease. The fact that so few in charge actually understand the sheer gravity of what all of the stoppages etc will have on the economy is terrifying. Further the idea that $1200 or anything of the sort will mitigate the damage is beyond reality...were ****ed and anyone that doest accept that is delusional at this point.
    The fact that people do not seem to understand that the economy equates to lives and livelihoods scares me.

13. Member
    The discussion last night had me go back and look for more info on CFR/IFR. All the early data from the WHO and the Diamond Princess led me to believe it would fall a little under 1%. I found two reports that have come out just in the last week that gave me enough info to question the 1%. I expect the IFR to fall under 0.5%, with my best guess closer to 0.2% with very limited data.

Only thing I want is my check
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pcmc19057 View Post
    Only thing I want is my check
    Paul
    I could sure use it lol

I do not have a degree in Economics...however I do know how to balance a checkbook and live within a budget. Those two skills alone could have kept us from getting to the point we are in now as a nation.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by SKfishing View Post
    The discussion last night had me go back and look for more info on CFR/IFR. All the early data from the WHO and the Diamond Princess led me to believe it would fall a little under 1%. I found two reports that have come out just in the last week that gave me enough info to question the 1%. I expect the IFR to fall under 0.5%, with my best guess closer to 0.2% with very limited data.
    Early numbers were exaggerated, models with more accurate numbers with better data are now coming out and it's not as bad as first reported. Yes, it's still deadly serious but not to the point some made it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    I do not have a degree in Economics...however I do know how to balance a checkbook and live within a budget. Those two skills alone could have kept us from getting to the point we are in now as a nation.
    You are talking about congress, right?

I've deleted all of the posts in this thread that were complaining about a thread being closed yesterday.
    For the record, I did not close that thread but I did agree with the Moderator with the reasons given for closing it.

And it was for more than one reason.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SKfishing View Post
    Could you perhaps share the data, seems like good news.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast