Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by james_az View Post
    which of those noises isn't supposed to be there? When you get it fixed any chance you could post, cause pretty sure mine sounds the same. Just thought that's how they sound. Steering makes tons of noise.
    I will if I get it figured out.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I know there is not much clearance between the ends of the pin and where it seats in the groove of the prop. You may have to file a little bit off the ends of the pin to have it seat easier. This is especially important if the pin was not centered EXACTLY, when the pin was pressed into the prop shaft. Make sure to torque the prop nut with the appropriate torque wrench.
    Copy that, I'll take a look at that pin. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Guy View Post
    The noise is from the top but I did notice a vibration coming up from the prop at mid to higher speeds that I could feel through the boat. Maybe that is a link to the noise issue above, maybe over working the servo steering motor. I checked Lowrance FAQs and they had a question about prop vibration, Lowrance suggested turning the prop over 180 degrees and torque to 10 foot pounds. I do have some dial indicators and can check motor for runout if necessary, I'll try runout if the prop is still vibrating after flipping it. I'll try a before and after in my garage for the vibrations. The head noise issue I'll have to wait until I'm on the water again to check.
    I have noticed my prop vibrates as well. I bought a new prop and have the same vibration. The shaft does not seem to be bent. I'm wondering if the pin is not perpendicular to the shaft.
    2011 Ranger Z518
    Mercury Pro XS 200
    Lowrance, HDS Live, BBT mounts, Ghost, AT1, Power Poles, Charge

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigfishRanger View Post
    I have noticed my prop vibrates as well. I bought a new prop and have the same vibration. The shaft does not seem to be bent. I'm wondering if the pin is not perpendicular to the shaft.
    Could be the pin, you could try what I found in the Lowrance Operator manual under troubleshooting(I thought I seen it on their web page but I don't see it now). Lowrance said remove and
    remount the prop
    a 180 degrees from where it was. This is what I did this morning and it made a pretty big difference.
    Not sure why unless it was because
    I was lot more careful about seating the prop down on the cross pin fully before tightening the nut. Once I get back on the water to see how much it helps.

5. Member
    Lowrance should have kept a little end gap clearance on each end of the pin. I noticed this issue when my prop didn't want to seat easily, during my installation.

6. Member
    Lowrance should have kept a little end gap clearance on each end of the pin. I noticed this issue when my prop didn't want to seat easily, during my installation.

I am very interested in the Ghost and I will be following this thread closely.

i saw a video earlier today where the person comparing it with a Garmin and another, I think Minnkota. The lower unit of the ghost was CONSIDERABLY noisier than the others. It may have been the pin discussed above and be correctable, but if not, if the ghost is ythat loud at the lower unit, it’s a deal killer for me.

Thanks for sharing.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
    I am very interested in the Ghost and I will be following this thread closely.

i saw a video earlier today where the person comparing it with a Garmin and another, I think Minnkota. The lower unit of the ghost was CONSIDERABLY noisier than the others. It may have been the pin discussed above and be correctable, but if not, if the ghost is ythat loud at the lower unit, it’s a deal killer for me.

Thanks for sharing.
    If you are referring to the BassResource.com video from ICAST, it is a bogus video and not indicative of the noise level of a Ghost. Zach on this site also shot a video with his GoPro underwater with the Ghost, and you could hear voices above the water louder than the motor, and the noise of the water being sliced by the shaft as louder than the motor. There have been long discussions on this situation, and the overall consensus is that the Ghost is extremely quiet and not an issue. BTW, the maker of that noisey video is sponsored by the competitor.
    ciao,
    Marc

Thanks a bunch Marc! It was indeed the video you mentioned. It’s very disappointing that someone would stoop to the level of putting out lies like that.

Thanks for giving hope with the Ghost. After I spend time learning my boat and my ti2’s I will upgrade to an automated trolling motor and it will probably be the Ghost. The way it’s going with the virus and delays on getting my boat, I might run out of the good part of the fishing season and wait till Fall.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

10. Member
    Thanks a bunch Marc! It was indeed the video you mentioned. It’s very disappointing that someone would stoop to the level of putting out lies like that.

Thanks for giving hope with the Ghost. After I spend time learning my boat and my ti2’s I will upgrade to an automated trolling motor and it will probably be the Ghost. The way it’s going with the virus and delays on getting my boat, I might run out of the good part of the fishing season and wait till Fall.
    I hear you. I just retired to go fishing, and now am stuck at home. Making the most of my time by installing all new transducers in my Ranger (installed a new shoot thru the hull in the sump today). Plan to install an Airmar TM150M on my jackplate. Putting all new power cables and new connections for my HDS units and 3D StructureScan.
    Putting a LIVE 16 at my bow, programming my Ghost remote control, re-routing my cable for LiveSight, putting on another Transducer Shield and Saver for my LiveSight, servicing my aerators, cleaning, and setting up new pages for my HDS units. Probably redo trailer wheel bearings and new tires on the trailer. And anything else I can think of that may get in the way of fishing if I wait to do them later.
    ciao,
    Marc

Well I guess I’m causing thread drift but it sounds like you’re a Lowrance guy. Are you good with that decision? I’m new at marine electronics and have started down the Lowrance road. I am hoping it’s the right horse to pick.

I have a good bit of Garmin in my airplanes. The only thing bad about Garmin is their seemingly holding you hostage with their obsolescence and updates.

I would like to hear your take on the brand war.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

12. Member
    Well I guess I’m causing thread drift but it sounds like you’re a Lowrance guy. Are you good with that decision? I’m new at marine electronics and have started down the Lowrance road. I am hoping it’s the right horse to pick.

I have a good bit of Garmin in my airplanes. The only thing bad about Garmin is their seemingly holding you hostage with their obsolescence and updates.

I would like to hear your take on the brand war.
    OK, be happy to give you my thoughts, but full disclosure, I have been a Lowrance ProStaffer for more than 25 years. I am clearly biased, but for good reason. I have been bass fishing tournaments since I fished in the second ever Federation Nationals in the mid-1970's. I still compete in tournaments, because I love the sport and never tire of fishing. But I also fish for all species, fresh and saltwater, and have been fortunate over the years to fish all over the world, and all over North America. What has this to do with your question? Everywhere I have fished, for any species, Lowrance is there. This is truly an international company, with smart people all over the world contributing to the success of their products. Now I will be the first to admit it isn't always roses for bass fishermen, because a lot of times Navico (family of Lowrance, Simrad, B&G, C-Map, and others) builds in features for other fishing purposes that cause bass anglers to scratch their heads, and sometimes feel ignored. A good example of this, and evidence things are changing for the better, is Navico getting into the trolling motor business. Many of us have urged this for a decade, but only recently did it come to fruition. The Ghost is the result, and it is completely designed and built from concept to finish by Lowrance Engineers, in Lowrance's factory.

So to make a long story short, Lowrance is big and not likely to fail, and diversified which adds resilience. There is tremendous talent in its many engineers, and they are really focused on collaboratively developing products for today and tomorrow. There is a lot of competition now, which is good because sometimes it pushes Lowrance in directions it didn't really want to go (especially with bass fishing), but they have the talent and organization to provide us anglers with the best quality products.

Sometimes we need to remember it isn't all about bass anglers. There are some great people that post tips about Lowrance on this board, from countries that don't even have our bass species. Bass anglers sometimes don't get some of the ingenuity built into Navico products. I have used my Lowrance HDS units with 50 kHz transducers to track my downrigger balls to catch King and Silver Salmon in the Puget Sound, and my 200 kHz transducer to jig big salmon in the Puget Sound or in the Columbia and Willamette Rivers; to catch monster sturgeon in the Columbia. To catch world record line class walleye dropshotting in the Columbia. Catching kokanee in Pacific Northwest lakes. Winning tournaments and boats, bass fishing.

One of the best things I like about Lowrance is that their tools are more capable than I am, and I love to learn how to use them. Nobody can learn it all, despite how hard we try; I know I have a pretty good grasp on Lowrance, but I learn more all the time, especially from this board and others. So in short, Lowrance makes a product that exceeds my skills, and I know if I am willing to put in the time and hard work, Lowrance will deliver.

Since I brought up being a prostaffer upfront, let me explain why I am a prostaffer. I have used Lowrance products ever since the Green Box flasher. I continue using Lowrance because I want it on my boat, for my tournament success and my fun of fishing. I can use any brand I want, and I wouldn't put my own reputation on the line without feeling Lowrance was all I say it is. I also do not talk about anything on behalf of any of my sponsors that I do not personally know to be true, and have experienced.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose. There will be ups and downs with any product and its manufacturer; the important thing is to find what suits you and invest some time to learn about the product.
    Last edited by Marc Marcantonio; 04-05-2020 at 12:59 AM.
    ciao,
    Marc

13. Member
    Lowrance has a teflon ring upgrade for noise and jerking that comes from the indicator rubbing in the head. Call Lowrance customer service and tell them you want the new style teflon ring for the direction indicator.
    I'm glad I saw this comment. Indicator is a little sticky on mine, I was just going to give it some time and see if it loosened up but I may call on this as well.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Thanks a bunch Marc for taking time for a thoughtful response!

I bought my meager setup with minimal research, rather I had trust in my dealer who is a Lowrance guy, before reading some of the negative comments about their products. As with all things I’m sure they or their products are not perfect as is also the case with their competitors. There will always be naysayers. Lowrance’ expertise is in the marine industry. There is value in that. You make a great ambassador for them.

I think I picked the right horse.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I'm glad I saw this comment. Indicator is a little sticky on mine, I was just going to give it some time and see if it loosened up but I may call on this as well.
    I called of Friday about the "Indicator Assembly Kit", and Lowrance put it in the mail the same day. The service was excellent!

16. Member
    I made back out to the lake a few days ago. I have determined it is the servo
    motor that's making the squealing and chirping noise. While I hear these types of sounds during manual control the noises seems louder while in self guiding mode when turning from one waypoint to the next and is easier to demonstrate in a video. In the video linked here the trolling motor was pulling around 1.2 to 1.5mph. I did another test off camera at .5mph and the Ghost still generated the same type of sounds. I don't know if these are normal sounds or not. Any input would be appreciated.

17. Banned
    Mine is most definitely not like that. That would annoy the hell out of me.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Mine is most definitely not like that. That would annoy the hell out of me.
    It does annoy me a lot, I will reach out to Lowrance and see what they can do.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Guy View Post
    It does annoy me a lot, I will reach out to Lowrance and see what they can do.

If you want a comparison, shoot me a PM with your email or phone number and I’ll send you a short video of mine.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    If you want a comparison, shoot me a PM with your email or phone number and I’ll send you a short video of mine.
    Thanks, PM sent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12