36v Motor on a 24v plug? And is charger location safe?

Hey guys,

So finally got around to installing my new Ultrex and my previous Minn Kota Maxxum was only 24v so the plug at the front says “60A 12-24V DC” Can I use the same plug?

I’m also running a 187 Blue Sea Systems 60A/48V DC breaker and ill be adding a Minn Kota 460PC along with three 29DC Batteries
    (don’t know if all this makes a difference)

Also, on the 60am breaker, the left terminal says “Line” and right side says “Load”, which one is the positive and which one does the positive terminal from the TM go to?

Another thing is the Universal Sonar Cable coming from the motor.
    I only got the regular I Pilot US2 version because I’m running Garmins Echomap Plus 93 unit so I’ll be mounting my own transducer I think.
    I checked the compatibility chart and if I’m not wrong, I wouldn’t need a “MKR US2-12”
    adapter to plug into my echomap 93sv.
    What are Garmin guys doing?
    *EDIT* found answer, just removed the top part of the head of the unit and disconnected the cable I won’t need to use.

And last question, I literally have only one area where I can mount my MK460PC charger and it is directly beside my batteries on the platform of the boat at the rear.
    I know it says it’s waterproof and only plug it in when it’s not submerged it water which will never happen but I want to make sure it’s safe being mounted there.

Here is a pic of the location I can put it, is it safe there?

2014 mazda 6 zero to 60

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by datbasstho; 04-03-2020 at 04:21 PM.

2. Member
    Voltage statements on fuses, plugs and the like are generally to keep people from running low voltage stuff on outlandishly more that the posted rating. The volts can arc only a certain distance after break down, and 24 and 36 volts can't "jump" but it could arc. I'd run it. There will be naysayers, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. What you really need to be careful with is amps rating, but that can be negated with sloppy workmanship, i.e. poor solder jobs or loose connections.

3. Member
    I think you will be fine if you use that 60A plug and socket.

4. Member
    #1, you can use your plug,amps is what you should be concerned about,no problem there.
    #2,doesn’t matter
    #3,line goes to the battery,load goes to the motor. Both are +,no negs there.
    #4,I don’t know
    #5,that charger can be mounted anywhere.in any orientation,modern chargers are sealed.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Voltage statements on fuses, plugs and the like are generally to keep people from running low voltage stuff on outlandishly more that the posted rating. The volts can arc only a certain distance after break down, and 24 and 36 volts can't "jump" but it could arc. I'd run it. There will be naysayers, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. What you really need to be careful with is amps rating, but that can be negated with sloppy workmanship, i.e. poor solder jobs or loose connections.
    good to know. Thanks for the help

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    I think you will be fine if you use that 60A plug and socket.
    ok perfect thank you!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    #1, you can use your plug,amps is what you should be concerned about,no problem there.
    #2,doesn’t matter
    #3,line goes to the battery,load goes to the motor. Both are +,no negs there.
    #4,I don’t know
    #5,that charger can be mounted anywhere.in any orientation,modern chargers are sealed.

thanks for addressing all my questions!

I think I got thrown off from the diagram I found on here that shows a negative symbol coming from the breaker so I assumed one side was negative.

8. Member
    One side of the plug IS negative. I'm sure you know a curcuit is just that, like a race track, it must make a complete circle, and deliver both Positive and Negative or nothing works. Any open, like a switch, broken wire or missing battery, or plug not plugged in and no-go.

9. Member
    One side of the plug IS negative. I'm sure you know a curcuit is just that, like a race track, it must make a complete circle, and deliver both Positive and Negative or nothing works. Any open, like a switch, broken wire or missing battery, or plug not plugged in and no-go.
    sorry, are you talking about the plug or the breaker?

That Diagram is INCORRECT !!! Both sides of the BREAKER are POSITIVE !! The NEG symbol shown on the BREAKER should be a PLUS not a MINUS. A breaker is just a switched FUSE. It has to be installed IN LINE. Your Neg from the last Battery goes directly to the Trolling Motor and the Positive goes THRU the breaker.

[/QUOTE]
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    That Diagram is INCORRECT !!! Both sides of the BREAKER are POSITIVE !! The NEG symbol shown on the BREAKER should be a PLUS not a MINUS. A breaker is just a switched FUSE. It has to be installed IN LINE. Your Neg from the last Battery goes directly to the Trolling Motor and the Positive goes THRU the breaker.

[/QUOTE]

wow ok thank you for letting me know before I wired it all up.
    But does the circuit breaker that’s shown negative still go to the first batteries positive?
    is the diagram still correct except for the negative logo on the breaker?

And I just re read @rip bass where he did explain both are positives on the breaker.

12. Member
    The diagram is correct, it just does not show the plug, if used. It would be on both the positive and negative wire before the motor, which has an internal switch.
    Some breakers have the word "batt" on one side which would go to the battery. The little - on the breaker is irrelevant.

13. Member
    The diagram is correct, it just does not show the plug, if used. It would be on both the positive and negative wire before the motor, which has an internal switch.
    Some breakers have the word "batt" on one side which would go to the battery. The little - on the breaker is irrelevant.
    I understand the plug part because I’m just adding the negative and positive to it just like the old motor had it so that’s easy, just didn’t know if the plug was ok because it said 24v.

As for the diagram, it is correct from what I hear, just shows a negative on the breaker which is actually a positive but all the wiring stays the same so like you said, it’s irrelevant.

thanks for the help!