Shelbyville 4/2/20

I ran over to Shelbyville today to test a couple props, do some idling/graphing, and fish a little as well.
    I got in touch with Robert (local16) and, as always he was super helpful in advising me which ramps were open, etc. After talking to him, I decided to dump in at Milborn and it was up and running with the docks in place. The water was pretty dirty up there and temps were 53-54 with about 6" of visibility. I fished up in the Okaw above Findlay all morning and caught 3-4 short fish but no keepers up there. I did my prop testing up there as well and then headed down the lake to idle some stuff that I've been wanting to look at. I fished around for awhile roughly between Sand Creek and Skull Creek and caught 2 keepers and another 2-3 shorts. The water temp down there was 50-51 with about 18" of visibility.
    There were A BUNCH of boats out for a Thursday, but mostly fisherman and I didn't see any lake lice hanging out by the dozens, so that was encouraging.

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Good deal Philly. I'd bet 99% of those boats you saw were crappie fishermen.

Dale Sinclair original

Roger that...I cant say that I saw anyone who WASN'T Crappie fish'n. I caught 2 Crappie that I'm sure were over 13" on a DT-6. I have another section of the lake that I want to idle on Monday and I'm bringing a couple Crappie rods along this time.

4. Member
    which ramps are open ? I usually fish from eagle creek towards the dam and put in on those two ramps . I haven't fished there much in the last couple years but with other lakes completely closed maybe next weekend shelbyville is calling .

Hey Josh. The only ramps that I know of being completely closed are Wolf Creek and Eagle Creek...however I did notice that MOST of the open ramps did not yet have docks in place. I dumped in at Wilborn after talking to Bob Bilbrey and that was the only ramp that I saw all day with a dock in place. Last I recall, you had a tin boat, so it may not be as much of an issue for you launching without a dock. Lithia Ramp has a pretty flat area to beach a boat if necessary.

6. Member
    Dock or no dock if I can get on a a body of water right now i will . I was under the impression that the coe ramps and state park ramps were closed . I would rather be on newton or coffeen but they are closed unless I misunderstood the dnr closings as well .

Not sure on Coffeen, but Newton is definitely closed.

8. Member
    I put in at Wilburn yesterday and the parking lot was full. Not to the overflow lot, but close. Quite a few crappie fisherman out.

9. Member
    I put in at ninth st today. Coe is waiving all fees. Even caught a few fish