Flashing boat motor?

Is flashing your motor legal if it increases the H.P. over your Max H.P. rating? Been thinking about getting my motor flashed, just not sure how this works.

2. Banned

4. Banned
    Soon, Eeyore someone will come along and talk about liability and civil ramifications.

5. Member
    if you really want more hp why not just buy more when you buy the motor .

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    if you really want more hp why not just buy more when you buy the motor .
    I have a 150 on it now, it’s rated for a 175. A new mercury 175 is north of $ 14,000. Just trying to educate myself on the options. I don’t want to exceed the max H.P. rating for insurance/accident reasons. Not sure about the flashing process. Can you fine tune the flashing to a 175 or it’s all or nothing. Definitely don’t want this topic to turn into a argument amongst members. Thanks

7. Member
    Some motors are hotter than others in regards to output on horsepower. I believe the governing body that controls this allows a certain percentage, maybe 25% not sure, above stated nameplate hp. Depending on that I assume you could flash to that maximum number and be okay legally. So below someone said it's 10% so you could probably flash to 175hp or 10% over if that is your boats nameplate capacity without any problems I would think.
    Last edited by Dixie-Raven; 04-03-2020 at 08:02 AM.

8. Member
    Nobody needs to know about it but you. Thousands of motors have been running all over the country for years that are making a lot more HP than what the tag says or the boat rating plate shows.

9. Member
    The "Red Dragon"......

M

There is no easy way for anyone to know if you have reflash done unless you tell them
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Legal yes. Insurance will be an issue however

12. Member
    It is 10%
    How could an insurance company possibly know if the ECM has been altered or for that matter even care?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    It is 10%
    How could an insurance company possibly know if the ECM has been altered or for that matter even care?
    They might care if a major accident happens and they are on the hook for a large settlement. Again depending on how severe they can go back and investigate your financials, maintenance records, phone records, witness accounts, etc... to see what turns up.

14. Banned
    What brand motor and year?

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    It is 10%
    There's area of ECM's that are only accessible by factory level and beyond people. It's a myth that "they can't tell you've ever been in there" If you've been in there playing, you've left a footprint. Would they go that far to investigate a connecting rod punched through the block ? Likely no. Accident with a fatality involved ? Now we're talking ...
    Ranting incoherently

16. Banned

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuck Grass View Post
    Is flashing your motor legal if it increases the H.P. over your Max H.P. rating? Been thinking about getting my motor flashed, just not sure how this works.
    You can do it on a Yammi but a merc is not going to happen. Too many sensors to replace with the flash. Also the ecm by its self is stupid price. I checked already. Insurance wouldn't be happy if you had an accident and they checked it. Can you say canceled.

Well OK Simon just proved me wrong for 4 strokes. Guess the EFI's are still a no go

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    What brand motor and year?
    Mercury Optimax 150 year 2005

19. Member
    Well that makes it easy, not much can be done on that motor.